Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken Skin

Options
Catwoman
Catwoman Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like to cook my chickens/turkeys using the "beer can method" which I put in a roasting pan to catch any drippings. I have a large green egg and I cook them at 350. My question relates to the skin. It always comes out tough, not crispy. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is occurs? I would really like to get a crispy skin. I should mention that it comes out beautifully bronzed. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Catwoman,
    I cn't tell you why, but if crispy skin is what you want try dusting it with corn startch before you put it on your egg. Hope this helps.
    Tom

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Catwoman,[p]Have you tried rasing the temperature to 450 at the end? I've found that really helps crisp skin.[p]Also, a dusting of corn starch on the skin helps it get crispy and crusty.[p]gdenby
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Catwoman,
    I agree with the two previous posts. Have you tried basting it while cooking, or oiling the skin prior to cooking?

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Catwoman,
    One more tip would be to prick the chicken all over with a fork. This will let the fat come out of the chicken to help with the browning process.If you just use corn starch,just a little bit because if it is to much it will clump up and be mushy.I just sprinkle some starch in my hand then rub my hands around and let any excess fall off.There will be just enough on your hands to pat the chicken with a very light coating.Repeat this over the whole bird and it will come out great.The higher temp will also help at the end.Like the last 15/20 minutes.You can also mix two parts rub and one part corn starch and do like a shake and bake thing or put it in a shaker to apply.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Catwoman,
    I have yet to get the skin the way I like it. Except for last weekend, I planned to do a chicken every weekend so I could keep trying till I perfect the method.[p]I have tried all and have had success with none-except cooking direct and increasing the temp at the end. It's coming out better, I just have to nail down the right combination of cook time, crisp time and temperature.[p]I cooked my first duck a few weeks ago. Cooked it low and slow and turned up the heat at the end. Best skin I've ever had!

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Catwoman,
    my experience has been that the addition of liquid to the egg yeilds rubbery skin. never beer canned, just added beer to the drip pan and got rubbery skin. i do chicken verticle sitting in a drip pan no plate setter put chicknen in at 450 and damp it down right away and take to 350. this way sikn crisps first and keeps in the juices.
    good luck

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Catwoman,
    Also try air drying the bird for a few hours in the fridge uncovered.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Essex County
    Options
    Catwoman,
    Sometimes I finish my spatchcock chicken by putting a really hot cast iron right on top and putting a brick or two in the pan to weigh it down. It crispens the skin very nicely.[p]Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    100_0181.jpg
    <p />Catwoman,
    this was a long time ago, from memory it was corn meal, flour and some cayanne pepper dusted lightly over an oiled bird, skin was separated from the bird first. it was the crunchiest one i ever did, i think it was 300 direct, no daisywheel, temps regulated from the bottom only. one thing you need to do is pin the wings away from the breast or it stays wet and slimmy in those areas. it may have been chefrd's hotwing recipe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Catwoman,[p]OK. I don't believe this either...[p]My neighbor has a house guest who is an executive chef. He got fascinated with the versatility of my BGE, and from previous restaurants where he has worked, and fast cooked chickens, he asked me to try putting a fryer right down on the grate, plate setter with foiled drip pan, legs up, no smoke, no rubs (no corn starch), no nuthin'. 500° for one hour. No Miss Daisy, so you can watch it cook. Yes, I said 500° for one hour. Best chicki I ever ate.
    DSCN3085.jpg[p]Golden, thin, skin that almost melted in my mouth. Clear hot juices run from under the thighs. Not burnt anywhere. The skin blisters a little, but no matter...it was great. I gotta try it again, just to see if I believe it.[p]Hope this helps.

• DynaGreaseball, really interesting. I will have to try your meathod. It sure looks easy and good. Thank for posting.