Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey skin

I love the smoked turkey's I make on the egg but the skin is not good for eating, how can I have tasty crisp skin on a smoked turkey
Grouperman

·

Comments

• grouperman,
    I have been wondering the same thing. I hope someone will chime in. I did notice a few posts about chicken skin and using cornstarch and am wondering if the same holds true for turkey.[p]Looking forward to replys[p]Mike

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    grouperman, I start out with the BGE at 375° and after about a half hour, or when the temp stabilizes, I lower it to 350°. I use a 15" round drip pan under the bird (on the plate setter) and put the bird directly on the grill grid. All of the skin gets crispy that way. JCA

·
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    julie belle,[p]yesterday, i butterflied two chickens, oh! so good - question - can i butterfly a turkey - any suggestions, especially concerning size[p]mr toad

In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • grouperman, After having posted above, already am thinking that I can put two butterflied , is that the same as spatchcocked, birds on the grid and grid extenderErn
    ·
  • Mike in Abita,
    I have an idea I had my wife buy a whole chicken I'm going to wrap it totaly in foil and leave the top and bottom open and put it on the upright wrack and smoke it tomorrow I will let you know what happens

·
  • grouperman,[p]Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.[p]Mike
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    grouperman,
    You might try air drying the bird in the fridge un-covered for 24 hours prior to your cook. [p]I would to a test run ahead of time. The holiday is not the time to be guessing.[p]Regards,
    Bordello[p]

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Bordello, I air dry overnight, after brining and before the cook. JCA

·
  • Bordello,
    thanx this will give me something else to try

·
  • J Appledog,
    I'd like to know more about that whole method and the turnout
    grouperman

·