Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Turkey skin

I love the smoked turkey's I make on the egg but the skin is not good for eating, how can I have tasty crisp skin on a smoked turkey

• grouperman,
    I have been wondering the same thing. I hope someone will chime in. I did notice a few posts about chicken skin and using cornstarch and am wondering if the same holds true for turkey.[p]Looking forward to replys[p]Mike

• J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    grouperman, I start out with the BGE at 375° and after about a half hour, or when the temp stabilizes, I lower it to 350°. I use a 15" round drip pan under the bird (on the plate setter) and put the bird directly on the grill grid. All of the skin gets crispy that way. JCA

• mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    julie belle,[p]yesterday, i butterflied two chickens, oh! so good - question - can i butterfly a turkey - any suggestions, especially concerning size[p]mr toad

In dog Beers - I have had only one !
  • grouperman, After having posted above, already am thinking that I can put two butterflied , is that the same as spatchcocked, birds on the grid and grid extenderErn
  • Mike in Abita,
    I have an idea I had my wife buy a whole chicken I'm going to wrap it totaly in foil and leave the top and bottom open and put it on the upright wrack and smoke it tomorrow I will let you know what happens

• grouperman,[p]Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.[p]Mike
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    You might try air drying the bird in the fridge un-covered for 24 hours prior to your cook. [p]I would to a test run ahead of time. The holiday is not the time to be guessing.[p]Regards,

• J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Bordello, I air dry overnight, after brining and before the cook. JCA

• Bordello,
    thanx this will give me something else to try

• J Appledog,
    I'd like to know more about that whole method and the turnout

• J Appledog,
    this will be a great way to try too