Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

loading egg into table

Options
Max
Max Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a table built for my large egg and wondered if there were any secrets/how tos, what not to do.....
thanks a newb

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Max,[p]It's much easier if you take out the innards and remove the dome.[p]Make sure it is resting on a concrete paver or similar (look at my profile pic for an example).[p]Other that that, juts takes a little elbow grease.
  • Max
    Options
    Fidel, thanks so much. I was hoping to cheat and not remove the dome;)

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Max,[p]Well, you don't have to, but it is much easier to reach inside the dome and grab the bottom vent to lift it. With the lid attached I don't recommend that.[p]I am strong enough to lift mine assembled, but it is so awkward I don't do it any longer. It is easier to take the dome off - it is really only one bolt.[p]Good luck
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Max,
    You can move it without removing the dome. It's not really that difficult to do if you remove the ceramic pieces from inside, open the lid enough to get your arm inside (wear an old shirt), reach down and grab the inside of the bottom vent, lift and place wherever you want it, even down inside a cart hole. Piece 'a cake.[p]As for using a concrete stone under the Egg, it really isn't necessary if you have good ventilation. Be sure to use the ceramic feet. Direct contact of your Egg to anything is NOT a good thing. Air is the best insulator.[p]Good luck.[p]Spring "My Egg Has Stopped Going Places" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Max,
    if you really plan to move your large in and out frequently then go with an open front design and not one with a hole on top. That way you can "walk" your large on and off the table using some similar height dolly or cart. Follow me?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • citychicken
    Options
    someone recently posted a very cool "strap-designed carrier" that they found somewhere on the internet which could be used to lift the egg. i do remember that the poster was quite pleased with the product. maybe they might see this and chime in. [p]by the way, it made lifting the egg fairly easy as a two person job without having to remove the innards.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    markkal123,
    that was me...about the PotLifter

[ul][li]click here and it's the 5th item down[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Max,
    I don't move mine often, once each so far. I used a towing strap and tightened it so that it was similar to the pot lifter. I took out the guts and I left the dome on. It was a little top heavy but no problem at all. Hopefully, now I wont drop it when I move it again.Haha

• Max
    Options
    RRP,[p]Thanks so much, it's perfect!!!!
  • Bigger
    Bigger Posts: 15
    Options
    Max,[p]Use a friendly and strong neighbor and a weight lifting belt...[p]I would suggest using a paving stone under the egg, along with the ceramic feet. I also put a thick piece of foam over the stone as we lowered the egg in - helped me feel a little more comfortable that even if it had a hard landing, it'd be cushioned a little. Of course don't forget to pull out the foam later, unless you prefer melted foam rubber smoke on your pork over hickory or apple..
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    markkal123,
    That's called a "Potlifter". I have them available. email me off line if interested.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    The cheapest place to order the potlifter I found was
    http://www.4seasongreenhouse.com/potlifter-heavy-lifter-p-1379.html

It is $5.00 cheaper than the other merchants posted in reply here.