Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First steak a success!

Options
Georgie
Georgie Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. I shared with you all on Thursday how I was humbled by my poor job on some pork chops. Well, in the interest of balance, I thought I would share that my first attempt at steaks turned out great tonight! I wanted to do this as my first meal because I've always loved cooking steak, but I followed the forum's sage advice and waited until I did several low & slows. Anyway, I used TRex's method on the steaks and they were the juiciest I've had. Wish I had a pic to share, but they didn't last long enough to take any pictures.[p]Also, thanks RRP for the idea on the "quick release" set-up you made for the magnetic light you got at Lowe's. I bought the light yesterday, stole your quick release idea w/ the washers screwed to my table and had a great time grilling my steaks in the dark tonight.

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Georgie,[p]I had been after my wife for years to allow me to get an egg.....[p]Well after much kissing of As*..I ended up getting one...[p]Now I have cooked on them for a long time.....[p]Anyway ...I cooked steaks for our first meal.....[p]And my wife said to me...."why did you take so long to get an egg?"...[p]So I drank several beers....and all is well[p]
    Steaks are great on an egg....and we are glad you are with us in knowing so....[p]

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]Trex certainly found a great way to cook a steak. My wife will not go out for a steak anymore. She makes me spatchcock chickens every Sunday after church now. I was told to smoke some butt for her office for Boss's day Monday. Got 35lbs on XL and 17 on L. Apple chunks for smoke.[p]Welcome to the world of egging eggheads. It will be a long and delicious cooking eggsperience!![p]dblR

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Georgie,
    congratulations and good. i am happy for you.
    my unsolicited recommendation for your next cook is cornish hens on a vertical roaster @ 350 direct or in a pie pan no liquid. rubs and such are optional i like just a tiny bit of hickory. cut it in half with your kitchen shears after it has rested and serve it on top of a mound of mixed rice [brown and wild or similar] lundberg and texmati make them. 1/2 a chicken on top of a mound of rice in the center of the plate makes a spectacular presentation
    bill

• Georgie
    Georgie Posts: 51
    Options
    bill,
    Wow, that sounds delicious - thanks for the recommendation I will definitely try that!