Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the best stuffing for a pork Loin

Options
DonDon
DonDon Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got a nice one at the house and wanting to butterfly it, then stuff it with maybe spinich and something else, just not sure. It's time to try some new things on the Egg.

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    DonDon,[p]My advice is something that needs little or no cooking like cheese, dried fruits, sauteed veggies or cooked bacon /sausage. That way the loin doesn't have to be overcooked waiting for the stuffing to get done.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • DonDon,[p]Here is one we like.[p]Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard

[p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 07/01/07[p]If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.[p]07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    DonDon,
    here is a mini version of what your doing, take drbbq's advice and go for fillings that cook quickly. ive also done this with canned chilis and cheddar, lots of combinations out there. the chutney is a favorite, smear some on the outside toward the end of the cook to get it all sticky sweet.

[ul][li]stuffed loin chops[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    RichardFl,
    Do have a querstion though. whats Capicola? That kinda like prosciutto? Never heard of that one. Does sounds like a great recipe though but will change the Mango Chutney ti a mango Habenero salsa, just not cut things up as small. THANKS bud

• Buckethead
    Options
    DonDon,
    I have had success with
    diced apple (peeled and cored)
    hand full bread crumbs
    six slices cooked diced bacon
    1/4 cup plumped rasins (plump in rum an add rum to mixture)
    hand full slivered almonds
    cup gorganzolla cheese
    table spoon of your favorite pork rub[p]combine all above, fillet open roast, fill and tie.
    roast at 350 for 60 min or to 145 internal
    serve with
    1 part apple jelly
    1 part pineapple preserves
    1 talbespoon dried mustard
    2 tablespoons of horse radish (prepared)
    combine sauce ingredients, wisk and serve with pork. [p]good luck
    Doug[p]

• DonDon,
    Sorry just got back home. I like cappy 'cause of the spicy snap.

[ul][li]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capicola[/ul]