Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck for 80th birthday party

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to thank everybody who helped with advice on cooking duck a week or so ago. My girlfriend threw a party for her mother's 80th today and the duck was the entree for eight. I butterflied two, used a five-spice powder/ginger rub, and slow-cooked them on a raised grid for five hours at 200 degrees. I was worried about maintaining the low temperature, but it stayed really steady. The duck was just amazing. Everybody loved it and it felt like something very special for a special occasion.[p]A question for those who've done this -- I did the usual duck thing of piercing the skin a lot to let the grease out, but there was still a bit more fat left than I'd like. Does anybody have any
tricks for this?[p]Thanks again, it was wonderful

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    barbes,[p]Certainly no eggspert when it comes to duck. Based on what I just read could you flip the duck and cook it breast down? My thinking is holes would allow grease to leave duck. Make sure to use a drip pan. [p]Happy Eggin
    Mike

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    barbes,
    We do ours a bit higher: 235-250, indirect over a drip pan, whole, not butterflied for the same 5 hours. Most fat is gone and the skin is crispy. I agree that this is a special cook.

• Marvin,[p]Thanks. A bunch of questions. Do you pierce the skin, or any of the other tricks I've seen such as pouring boiling water over the duck before cooking? What internal temperature do you have when you pull? A lot of the recipes I've seen seem like they should end up with a seriously overdone bird, but people seem to like the results anyway. Any help much appreciated.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    barbes,
    Yes - pierce the skin ALL over. I don't look for an internal temp. We've done enough of these that I simply take off the whole duck after 5 hours when cooked at 235-240. The last two times, I simply laid the duck breast side up (or down) directly on the grid over a drip pan in an inverted plate setter, instead of putting the duck in a V-rack. It will be moist and very tender; not dried out. Have fun!

• Marvin,[p]That's what I needed to know. Thanks. I'm going to keep on working on these.