Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reuben - How to??

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]I have had some delicious reuben sandwiches at restaurants, but none of those restaurants are local.[p]I would love to learn to make them.[p]I have tried at times in the past, but mine never seem to measure up to the best ones.[p]It seems to me that they use a sour kraut that has a slightly sweet taste and what we buy is more sour. Also it seems to me that theirs' is much more juicy.[p]Do you put Thousand Island on before the toasting operation or as a side for use after?[p]I would appreciate a recipe and instructions as to how to make them. [p]I feel like I am reading the best cooks there are, when I read posts in this forum.[p]Thank you for any help in making me smarter.[p]Kyle

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Kyle,
    I've been loving Reuben's for years myself too. The best ones by far are the ones I make myself! First of all NO Thousand Island dressing!!![p]I use Butternut Dixie Rye bread and spread on an even but thin layer of Can't-believe-It's-Not-Butter on the two sides that will be outside. Then inside I spread real Mayo. Place the first butter side down on a griddle and then lay on two slices of good deli corned beef. Next is a layer of Frank's Polish Style Kraut. Then a slice of good Swiss cheese and then the other piece of bread. I grill them at moderate heat and flip a few times. By the time both sides are honey brown in color from the toasting the meat will be nice and warm and the cheese will have melted. Trust me - that makes a terrific Reuben sandwich!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Kyle,
    I recently smoked a 15 pound corned beef on my XL then thinly sliced it (across the grain) and did kind of as RRP did. I however like 1000 Island on them so I buttered one side of a good rye bread and also used a griddle. I layered slices of the meat then swiss cheese and topped it with the kraut then the dressing. I put the top piece of bread on that also had the outer side buttered.[p]As the bottom side browned and heated through I put a piece of foil over the sandwiches and set a sheet pan and a cast iron skillet on top to press them down. Once the side was done to my liking I flipped them and repeated the pressing.
    Came out very, very good! I also add a bit of sugar to the kraut and fry it in some butter to get some color on it. Just adds another dimention in flavors to the sandwich.[p]Bob

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    DSCF0413.jpg
    <p />Kyle, I followed this recipe from the Food Network. It works just as well with corned beef or turkey too. Sorry but i know these pics are out of order
    DSCF0412.jpg
    DSCF0411.jpg
    DSCF0409.jpg
    DSCF0410.jpg
    Here's the link.

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34869,00.html?rsrc=search[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    100_1570.jpg
    <p />Kyle,
    i go with pastrami from the egg sliced thin, sauerkraut, thousand islands and then cheddar instead of swiss, i dont seem to taste swiss cheese so i go with something i like. i dont just throw the sandwich together and fry, i heat the saurkraut and pastrami in a casserole dish in the oven with some of the liquid from the bag it came in. it gets nice and moist this way. then i assemble and fry last. if you wanted it sweeter you could add the sugar for the oven cook part. biggest trick is finding good bread

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • To All who responded[p]
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Options
    Kyle,[p]This is our homemade version:[p]Make pastrami by smoking some corned beef that has been pre-boiled to get out the extra salt (obviously real Reubens use the corned beef directly).[p]Make your own kraut - it's really easy. See Sandor Katz' "Wild Fermentation". Tons of great recipes there. And you'll want to use your own kraut for all kinds of things.[p]Good Swiss, like Emmenthaler.[p]Homemade rye.[p]Homemade Russian dressing (Joy of Cooking has a good one).[p]Put everything on the sandwich and toast in a pan with butter, putting some weight on the sandwich until the cheese melts.[p]Yikes![p]