Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken question

Options
Rib-Rob
Rib-Rob Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I perused the archives on the best way to cook the butterfly chicken. I brined it, slathered it with olive oil and some seasonings, and put it on a large BGE at 350 degrees, direct. There was a whole lot of spitting and hissing going on during the first 25 minutes. When I turned it,..... well, lots of black stuff. 300 degrees seems a little more like it. I throttled back the fire a little, and will hope everything turns out all right. I put the grill on top of the fire ring, but am wondering if I am missing something. The dome thermometer is OK. I just did a brisket and a couple of pork shoulders and all was well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Rib-Rob, I think I know what you mean cause I've done that before. While I think you should cook this recipe direct, if you put a chicken directly over hot coals with small flames, you can expect that the chicken fat will render out and fall on the little flames, and now you have a bigger fire, blackening the bird. The last time I cooked this, I started out with the bird over the hottest part, then moved it over to a cooler part of the egg. ( I made my fire off center just for this reason.) The temp stayed at ~350 but there was no direct fire under the bird and that way it cooked well but it didn't hardly blacken, except just enough darkening for looks :).
    If this makes sense good. If not, email me and I will try to 'splain better.
    later,
    ChefRD

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    I use a second grate (Weber with handles) placed on top of two firebricks for cooking chicken halves, butterflied chicken and even whole chicken. Still cook direct, but can o[p]pen dome, rotate quickly to allow for hot spots and close quickly. This was suggested to me by Charwoody and has worked well for me.

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Rib-Rob,[p]I never flip or turn my spatchocked chicken. In fact, I run it at about 450 degrees (takes about 1 1/4 hours for a 7-lb roaster) 'til the breast is a hair over 160 and then take it off the heat and let it sit, covered, for a half hour.[p]I figure the beauty of the Egg is that you don't have to flip, turn or otherwise mess with stuff you're basically roasting.[p]Cheers,[p]David

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Rib-Rob,[p]I love this way of cooking whole chickens. IMHO, I think you need to raise the cooking grid. I use two fire brick on edge on a lower grate to raise the cooking grid. I cook direct at 350, 30 min per side (only one flip). I have done about six of these and each one has been a beautiful golden brown, never black. I also let my egg heat thouroghly so the fire is spread over a wide area of the lump.[p]The Naked Whiz has a website where he has pictures that show this process step by step. I don't know the link, but I'm sure you can find it in the archives.[p]Carl T

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    davidm,
    I am obviously doing something different. 450 would have petrified my bird. Do you cook it off-center, or have some other technique? I like hi-temp cooks, but have not had any success at them. If you wouldn't mind sharing your secrets, I would appreciate it. Thanks.