Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket's too big?

Options
Timbo
Timbo Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello and HELP!
The Brisket I got yesterday and plan to cook today seems to be a bit too big for my Large BGE. After I wrap it, do I need to have it over a drip pan or will the foil contain the juices? I thought about folding it in half with fat side out, but am afraid that will change cooking times...
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    brisket.jpg
    <p />timbo,
    That sounds like a monster! I would cut it in half before I folded it over. It should not change cooking times. [p]This shot is of a 12 pounder after it had shrunk from the cook. I did it in one piece, over a large drip pan (it is an oven broiler drip pan). It nearly filled the grid end to end raw.[p]Good luck with your cook!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    timbo,
    Why not cut it in half and stack the two pieces? Do you have a grill extender?[p]

• Timbo
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Looks like cutting in half will be the best bet!
    Thanks!!

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    timbo,
    I've done a couple that were a bit too long, all I did was fold over the thin end of the point on itself. No problem.
    Good luck.

• Timbo
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    In half it is! Not sure of the actual weight but I asked for a 10lb and if I lay it on the grill of my Large, the wide end is 2" up one side and the narrow 2" up the other side of the BGE. Looks like in half will be the only way to get it all over a drip pan![p]Thanks NB!!

• Timbo
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I'm probably going to cut it in half... probably. I'm going to look at your point idea when I'm ready.
    Thanks CQ!!

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    timbo,
    I think the best way to do that then would be to try to lay the 2 halves next to each other then rather than one on top of the other. I think if you were to double up where the meat is thicker, it could slow you down some. It sounds like you're planning on havin this puppy for dinner tonight, so you'd be cooking above 250, right? If you've got a pizza stone or a couple of firebricks to set under your drip pan, that would be a good idea.[p] Personally, I like to take my time on the brisket and go about 20 to 22 hours over a 200 degree fire, direct, in a v-rack for a little elevatation. If you never take it above 212 (boiling point of water) you maintain a much jucier end product. Thats my thoughts, anyway.[p]Going to try a leg of lamb this afternoon, myself. Did one about 2 years ago and remember liking it, but can't for the life of me remember how I cooked it. I'll finger it out sooner or later.[p]Again, good luck with that monster brisket.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Leg of lamb is one f my favorites. Indirect at 350* for 20 min per pd. 160* internal is a nice medium. I like to cut pockets in the lamb and stuff garlic cloves in, then rub generously with rosemary and serve with mint jelly.

• Timbo
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Thanks again Q. Man am I getting a late start! Some things came up and I just got fired up at 3:00. Lucky I don't have to work in the morning! I finished up cutting the thing in half, and since I'm still a novice at this, I'm trying 2 different approaches to see what works. I have half in the V-rack over the pan. Over top of that, I put a cake rack and the other half wrapped in foil on top. It looks like there will be plenty of room for circulation of heat. When I have time, I really want to try your method of low and slow and really long.
    Good luck with the lamb! One of my favorites to eat out, but never tried to cook one.