Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which knife sharpeners do y'all recommend

Options
RJH
RJH Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to get one and am looking for input.[p]Thanks in advance

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    RJH,
    I can't remember what it is called but the one that CCrider has is pretty amazing. It seemd to be super easy to use and put a rediculous sharp edge on the knives.[p]Charlie? Can you chime in and hook this guy up?

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    RJH,
    i have always taken mint to get them sharpened but i was told <a href="http://www.accusharp.com/">this one<a/> is the one to get.[p]hope this works [p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RJH,
    First time post I hope the link works but this one is good.
    http://www.warthogsharp.com/

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    RJH,
    As Bobby-Q said this one works great but it is a little pricey. But again it works fast and puts a super sharp edge on any size knife. I ordered mine from the site below and went with the complete kit. More is always better. Right? Not necessarily. I don't think I will ever use all of it. The 220 stone plus the ceramic rod has done all I have needed.
    That said, the one Bente recomended is the one Cooks Illustrated gave great reviews.

[ul][li]Edge Pro[/ul]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    BENTE, that's the one i got and love it
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    RJH,
    Depending on what kind of toys you like and perhaps whether you do any woodworking and have tools to sharpen, you may want to consider a Tormek sharpener. This thing us killer but costs upwards of $600. [p]Their patent ran out or something, cause there is a new brand that looks exactly like it and it is about 1/3 the price, but I do not remember the brand.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    IMG_0377Small.jpg
    <p />BobS,
    Its called a JET and the Tormek tools interchange with it. This thing puts an incredible edge on my knives. Here's mine. -RP

• Peter Creasey
    Options
    RJH,[p]I have good luck with the electric Oster.[p]
  • Dover_Gal
    Options
    RJH,
    I've been sharpening the same set of chef's knives (Wuesthofs) for 25 years on a diamond whetstone.[p]I've got one of those Wuesthof sharpeners (came with a knife) but I only use it for the scissors. I NEVER use it on the chef's knives as the diamond stone just puts such a great edge on the knives. [p]I provided a link to the one I use.[p]A simple angled stroke alternating each side, with a kind of "j" movement to get all the edge sharpened, followed by a touch of a steel to set the edge. I test the curl of the edge with my thumb to feel the set of the edge and test against butcher paper. It takes maybe a minute or two per knife and is the best way I've found. The other gadgets never seem to work for me.[p]

[ul][li]Chef's Choice Diamond Whetstone[/ul]
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    AZRP,
    Thanks for the information. From all I can read, Jet makes some great tools.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    RJH, lansky makes nice products with easy to follow directions.. the most important thing is to consider the type of knives you have and the angle recommended by the manufacturer
    i use japanese water stones but then again i have "issues' korin [google korin] has a c-d on knife sharpening and lee valley tool has a c-d on how to sharpen all kinds of stuff...korin has lots of bamboo skewers and the like, great for presentation kabobs and 1 bite stuff and lee valley is an addiction for me.. if you really want to sharpen do your homework first it is a great skill and applicable to your garden tools as well [another addiction] linked [i think] is a good place to start learning. if link does not work let me know and i can try to e-mail it to you. i served cheap marinated meat at a recent eggfest But it was sliced so thin it seemed tender. don' tell anyone.

[ul][li]http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036[/ul]