Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Egg and Deck !

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
egg.JPG
<p />Hello here is my new egg and deck and i'm ready to cook. I need a good filet mignon recipe. Please help. thanks

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    mark,[p]Wow, that is truly excellent! I am envious. As for the filets, I personally enjoy simple seasonings like kosher salt and fresh black pepper. For some more bite, I'm a big fan of Montreal Steak Seasoning from McCormick. If you want a new treat, try seasoning the filets with some ghee.[p]As for the cook itself, I like going with super high heat (700+) for a few minutes per side, then dwelling the steak with the vents closed for another few minutes. Remember to be careful about flashbacks when cooking at these high temps with the Egg. There have been several posts about this lately, and I'll dig some up later if you need them. Essentially, though, after dwelling with the top and bottom vents closed, it's a good idea to open one of both of the vents for a few seconds before opening the dome to allow some air in. Also, I always "burp" the Egg at those temps before fully opening it (open the dome an inch or so to gradually let some air in instead of flooding it with air quickly by opening all the way). Finally, I always wear the BGE cooking glove I received at Eggfest 2000.[p]Just some precautions. Others can, and perhaps will, explain more and in better detail. Good luck and excellent setup![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mark,
    Awful purty. You must be pretty pumped up![p]Filets are one of my favorites. Simplicity is the key to prevent overwhelming this wonderful piece of beef. A healthy dose of cracked tellicherry pepper, a light dusting of kosher salt, and a gentle slathering of olive oil is my favorite.[p]A nice hot bed of coals and a dome temp of approx 700-1000 works very nicely. 3 minutes a side, then close up the bottom vent and move the steaks to the side and "dwell" until done to your liking. For a 2 incher, it takes me about 8-10 minutes of dwell to get me a pink medium. Just a guideline though, as this is not an exact science, and requires a bit of feel.[p]Enjoy....and nice work on the setup!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    mark,
    Good looking Egg set-up and nice deck off the house. What a coincidence, as I too, have a mysterious and shrouded "device" next to my Egg on my patio as well. So far as I can determine, the highest and best use for it so far, has been to serve as a rather expensive platform for my Eggtensils, extra grids, bowls of soaking smoke-wood, etc. I'm still trying to figure out why it needs to be hooked up to a propane tank!
    Cornfed's and NB's posts hit the sirloin nail on the head. You can't go wrong with the minimalist approach to seasoning, so long as you don't overcook your steak. A great recipe is Brant's Mustard Slathered Steak, that simply adds yellow mustard and lemon pepper to your kosher salt and pepper. Bon Egetit!!! Big Murth

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    mark,[p]Is that a stainless band? I heard they had them but have never seen one - or did you scrape off the power coating to bare metal?? I need that for my Egg near the ocean - it would have to be darn good stainless though.[p]NB and Cornfed gave you the cook and dwell method and its a good one. I like even more sear so I just keep flipping until the center temp is what I want. The meat needs to be pretty thick or it will over cook awfully fast with a 700 deg fire. Mine are always 1.5" and 2" is better. Picture shows 3 on my small Egg with a Polder instant read thermometer checking for 130 deg.
    Enjoy[p]Tim[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    steak2.jpg
    <p />Tim M,[p]Daaa, forgot picture.[p]Tim
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    mark,
    Try JJ's recipe for Steak Au Poivre.

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I, too, used to have my old gasser sharing deck space with my Egg, until one day I lifted the cover off and found a rusted mess. I trashed it after that.[p]Although mustard slathered steaks are my favorite way to do them, I can't say that the idea or recipe is mine. I can't remember who the first guy to post the mustard idea on this forum was, but I think it was "Scott in Tampa" back in '98. He did a ton of experiments trying to perfect the steak. Oh, surely there isn't another "Brant" out there posting recipes, is there?[p]Brant
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Tim M,
    This is a stainless steel band. I live about 15min. from BGE headquaters here in atlanta. I usually make a trip once a week for some new gadget.

• Bobby Que
    Options
    mark,[p]I like to make a slit in a thick (>1.5 inch) filet mignon and insert a nice chunk of gorgonzola or blue cheese. Then I cook rub some olive oil on the meat, some sea salt and lots of cracked pepper, and cook the meat at at least 600 degrees using the sear and dwell method mentioned. I do a 2 incher for 2-3 minutes/side and then dwell for 4-6 minutes. Sometimes I use Charcrust (garlic & peppercorns) instead of the salt & pepper.[p]Nice looking setup. Enjoy.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mark,
    The first thing I noticed was dem stainless bands..damn thats nice....I as others have stated like to keep my filets plain and simple..a little garlic salt and onion powder and some fresh ground black pepper.....and BTW..the deck and the egg look awesome..enjoy..[p]Wess

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    WessB,
    F'n A!...steaks are at it's best with the simple....fresh pepper and salt.
    ST

• mark,
    Nice table...nice deck!
    With that said may I offer a word of caution? IMHO you're running a risk that close to your house and in only using the 3 green feet to separate a potentially hot scorching egg from your table. There are a number of us who place a round cement stepping stone on the lower shelf for the base.
    Now there are also people who will poo-poo this concern, but when a risk exists threatening home and family isn't it better to error on the side of caution? Unfortunately you will also find hot embers can pop out the bottom and that's a fact. Again some will say just leave a good layer of ash on the bottom, but next time you're nuking those filets gingerly touch the bottom of your BGE and let that govern your tolerance level of risk.