Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too high temp

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a med egg and have owed it for approx 5 years. I have learned to use it for the most part from reading the forum posts. I have run into a problem recently however. I have done nothing differently from what I have been accustomed to doing except change from a ceramic to a metal grate. I fill the fire box with lump and start a small amount of lump in a chimney starter and place it on top. I open the bottom damper all the way until I get to about 200 degrees and then close it almost all the way. The problem is I can't keep the temp down any lower than 300 degrees. I have never had this happen before. For example, I cooked a butt last night and saw the temp rising. I closed the wheel on top to almost nil and the fire went out. I opened it to where I normally keep it and again it shot up to 300 + degrees. I installed a new gasket and I can see no smoke escaping from anywhere. Any suggestions.[p]Thanks

Comments