Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg lighting question...

Options
JD McGee
JD McGee Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,[p]11 days and counting until I get my BGE :)!!! I am curious as to how everyone lights and or re-lights the charcoal in your Eggs.[p]JD
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JD McGee,
    I use the little parafin starter cubes almost all of the time..they work fine and are cheap enough not to worry about.....I do have my mapp torch for the times when you want to rush things..[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    IMG_1943.jpg
    <p />JD McGee,
    I used Weber cubes for years and then they doubled in price so I switched to these Char-Broil packets. As the name says they are Sure-2-Burn. Four bucks for 24 at Wally World here and all you need is one.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Nitrous Oxide or JP-8 (jet fuel)[p][p][p]JUST KIDDING[p]I use those bricks for now, but I'm thinking of switching over to MAPP. The orange home store has a 2-pack MAPP bundle for the price of 1.[p]If you have room or don't mind moving a propane tank, some prefer the 'blowtorch' method.[p]Knowing me, I'll end up with all three, using the BGE cubes as a backup to the propane torch, because the MAPP will become my primary because of it's convenience.[p]-j
    [ul][li]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033[/ul]
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    RRP,[p]You can get 144 Rutland cubes for about 11 bucks at Ace. I thought you were their Ambassador??
  • GerM
    GerM Posts: 13
    Options
    JD McGee,
    Electric starter works fine for me.

• 267532450.jpg
    <p />JD McGee,[p]I don't know if you can see this, but I bought this torch at Harbor Freight for less than $20...works great
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    JD McGee,
    Electric starter...I've got preteen boys a MAPP lighter at my might be too much temptation for all of us.LOL

• 21jan07-003.jpg
    <p />JD McGee,
    weed burner

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    JD McGee,[p]I splash a bit of vegetable oil on a paper towel and tuck it down in the lump. works like a starter cube or pack, but I have an endless supply and they are cheap.[p]I think Stike deserves the credit for the idea, but I really like it and it works great. Never had one go out and never had one fail to get a good fire going.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Fidel,
    I'm going to try this when I run out of the little paraffin thing you get at the grocery store.[p]Right now I use those. I break them into small pieces, as small as I can get them, and use 3 at a time for each cook. I press them down into the lump and lightly put a couple pieces of lump on to of each one after it gets going.[p]Soooo much easier than lighting a bbq using briquets.[p]Gwen

• JD McGee,[p]I used to use the starter cubes -- all varieties -- and couldn't stand the stink... less stinky than lighter fluid [NEVER use in an Egg] -- but stinky none-the-less.[p]So -- got an elec starter. There's an outlet right by. It works absolutely fine. Peachy keen![p]I haven't used propane lighters, but they should work fine, also... probably better. [p]But the elect is real handy-dandy... just don't walk away and forget about it![p]~ Broc

• JD McGee
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys folks..looks like there are a myriad of choices. I'm leaning toward the paper towel and vegetable oil method or the parrafin based that my BGE dealer sells. He swears they burn clean with no off odors.[p]Has anyone tried a chimney starter? Or is this not an option for the BGE?[p]JD
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    sigmore,
    yes, I know, but my local ACE is not one of those "stock it all ACEs". Also contrary to my "reputation with corporate Rutland" I still have to buy retail, with no wholesaler perks, no Christmas party invitation or anything! Geeez, now you have humbled me once again! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JD McGee,[p]Papertowl and vegi oil or any left over dripping from the last cook. It all works great and a fast light.
  • JD McGee,[p]I know full well that there are people who swear that the cubes don't have an odor...[p]Alas! Not so --[p]Compared to starter fluid or the crap they put in self-starting briquettes, it's only sorta true -- all things being relative.[p]But if I sneak in a paraffin cube, my wife comes running from the other end of the house -- "You did it again!"[p]The nose knows![p]They're cheap. They're easy...[p]But they stink... relatively speaking... like some relatives we all know...[p]But then again -- we've got extraordinary noses... we must get it from our dogs![p]:)[p]~ Broc

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    RRP,
    If your local Ace doesn't carry it, you can buy it online and they will deliver to your local store for free.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Fidel,
    FWIW- the paper towel thing works with Vegetable Oil but NOT Canola Oil

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    JD McGee,
    My neighbor (XL)uses the chimney starter all the time.
    Fill the Egg to your desired depth with lump. Then from that, fill your chimney and start it. When it's going, dump it back in with the rest of the coals.

• Lizard Dragger
    Options
    JD McGee,[p] Chimney starter for me. Fill it up, place in egg with 3 sheets of crumpled newspaper underneath and walk away, 15 minutes later red hot coals to dump.

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Fidel,
    What do you use to light the paper towels? Flint&steel, match, BIC, Propane, MAPP, Weed burner and what about napkins as opposed to paper towels. Some used napkins would not need cooking oil added, think of the savings, not to mention the environment.

• EddieMac
    Options
    I used to use conventional methods to light my BGE...but none of those were as much fun as the MAPP torch!....Fire that rascal up and you'll be getting fire pretty quick!...Love that MAPP torch....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]That almost looks like it may burn da gasket!
  • JD McGee
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]Thanks Broc...I'll see what they are using at the Eggfest...I'm thinking chimney starter for now (already have one) and perhaps a MAPP torch later on as it becomes necessary.[p]JD
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    IMG_0208.jpg
    <p />Jeeves,[p]Didn't burn my gasket with the torch but sure did a job on my cedar hedge. My wife made me sell it after that as she wasn't too impressed about the fire truck visit.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    dassum funny shiznit, yo.
    though probably not too funny when it was actually happening.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • flatironsteakstew-059.jpg
    <p />Jeeves,
    no, the weed burner doesn't, but a flambe' might! hahaa[p]common sense should be used regularly and it is often not practiced nearly enough.[p]bignakedbuffalobutt-020.jpg