Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have recently purchased a XL BGE. I have been cooking on other smokers and grills for years and have a question about temperature controlon the BGE. Last weekend I cooked a Pork Shoudler. I cooked a 5lb shoulder for 8 hrs at 275 degrees. I had a heck of a time keeping the temperature at the 275 range after about 5 hours. It kept dropping on me.I ended up having to relight and go from there.
Any suggestions on keeping a consistant temperature for long smoking times?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Mark,[p]I don't know what your set-up was. I would like to suggest you fill the XL up with charcoal. Mine will hold more than a 10# bag. I try to fill at least to the firering. I then light it in three places and the add plate setter (legs down) then firering then drip pan and finally grid. The way I described has worked for a cook lasting 24 hours.
    [ul][li]worth adding to favorites[/ul]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    Do you use the charcoal grate or do you take that out and fill up the fire box? I still had a good amount of charcoal unburned as I was losing the temperature. I am assuming that you load a large amount of charcoal, light ,adjust temperature in the 250 range and leave it alone??[p]