Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flames at top of egg while heating up to sear steak?

Options
shelly
shelly Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can check the temperature gauge from my kitchen window and noticed a rapid tise so I became somewhat suspicious. When I checked the egg, I notice that flames were at the top half of the egg.[p]Now I'm sure that this accounted for the rapid temperature rise.[p]I loaded 1/2 bge lump, 3 large chunks of my home made lump which had not completely carbonized (there was still some wood showing) and topped it off with Lazarus mesquite chunks to the top of the firebox.[p]I had the top cap off with the bottom vent wide open. When I put the daisy wheel top on with the slits wide open, the temperature subsided and the flames went out. Now the tenmperature is gradually rising as before.[p]Were these flames carbon monoxide burning from the raw wood part of my lump? Can it harm the egg?[p]This my first high heat searing cook for my steak tonight. Anyway the cook went well. I cooked direct at 610 for 2 minutes, turned and cooked for another 2 minutes, turned closed down the vents and cooked another 2 minutes, just like in the demo video.[p]Although I burped each time I opened the egg, and I did open the vents before opening the dome the final time, I did loose most of the hair on my forearm. Maybe I should burp more than the couple of times Idid on the last opening.[p]I'll probably leave it in the final stage for 4 minutes instead of two to get a bit more medium rare.[p]P1010686.jpg[p][p]P1010687.jpg[p]Shelly

Comments

• shelly,[p]I'm not an Eggspert...[p]Word is -- do not use wood in the BGE.[p]To make steaks --[p]Prep the meat [room temp] with a heavy salt and ground pepper rubdown... rub-a-dub-dub it in! Then, cover with a light coating of mustard.[p] I prep steaks after I've started the lump, leaving the daisy off and the bottom vent wide open. Remember, as the BGE heats up, the thermometer is showing the rising air temp, not the "real" temp of the dome.[p]So, I control my burn [use daisy wheel now] at about 450F... and let the BGE start to burn clean [no more start-up smoke], and let the ceramic heat up.[p]Then, I take off the daisy wheel and let 'er rip. When the temp come to 600+F, I plop the steaks on the cast iron grid -- 2 min/side for thick steaks.[p]Then, I remove the steaks from the BGE and close down the top and bottom vents. Let the steaks rest, and bring the BGE dome temp down to 400F.[p]Put the steak back in for a 400F roast. How long/side depends on how thick the steaks are and how long done you want the meat. I have discovered that on the egg, I generally have the steaks roasting for about 3 min/side @ 400F... but then again, I've never done a 2" steak.[p]This is my version of a TRex steak.[p]Have you perused the NakedWhiz website? Lots of great instruction there![p]~ Broc

• shelly,[p]Just read your bio -- I went to DLI at Monterey in a former life... twice! You're a Carmel chef... and I'm trying to instruct **you** how to sear a steak... Right![p]About your forearm arm hairs...[p]When the lump has been snuffed, it gasps and belches and really like to fight back when the lid is opened and O2 rushes in. I not only burp, but before I do -- I open the bottom and daisywheel for about three seconds first, then burp... and I haven't been attacked since.[p]Seems to work.[p]I'll leave it to others to straighten us both out![p]~ Best Wishes![p]~ Broc

• shelly
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. [p]I did not use wood per se but my homemade lump sometimes does not char completely so there is some wood showing, maybe up to 1/4 of the total. Many of my hm lump do completely carbonize, however. And I only used 3 pieces. But this is also the first time I have used the Mesquite lump. Could that be the cause? I have been using the bge lump with my own hm lump and have not had this happen. But, then again, the highest I had the dome thermometer was 550 before this 610 cook.[p]I would just like to know about the gases that were burning at the top half of the egg, above the lump. there really weren't flames below them. They just floated. I have a wood stove in the house that also does this (in fact, it's a feature of it to completely burn the gases as well as the wood) so I am assuming the flames had something to do with the uncarbonized lump. When I put the daisy wheel, wide open, on top, the flames all went out.[p]By the way, the steak came out great and I have no problem with the method of cooking suggested by the video. I will try your suggestions, however, on my next steak.[p]Shelly

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    shelly,
    If the flames were sort of bluish, like the swirling spirits in the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark, that was CO burning. If they were very yellow, like wood flames, then they were wood flames. If you haven't seen my flashback movie, you migth want to take a look. I have flames coming out the top of the Egg in that. It won't hurt the Egg. If you have enough flashbacks or the little mini-whooomp flashbacks that sometimes happen when you burp, you can damage the gasket. But nothing really bad should happen from having some flames out the top.[p]Oh, and yes, the flames will cause the incredible rise in temp. As I recall, CO ignites or burns at about 1100 degrees, so the temp in the cooker will rise rapidly once you start to get the dancing blue flames.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    shelly,
    See my post above. But dancing wispy blue flames above the lump is CO burning. It will form when any charcoal gets hot enough. The carbon in the charcoal can form CO with the oxygen in the air, and it will burn and form CO2. So, the uncarbonized charcoal wouldn't cause this. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • shelly
    Options
    Yes, it was the swirly, ghost like flames, similar to my wood burning house stove does.[p]Would the CO be coming from the Lazzarus (sic) Mesquite lump I used for the first time or from the 3 partially wood chunks of my homemade lump?[p]I did the burps, three in fact, and did open the bottom vent and daisy wheel completely before opening the dome. Not sure how many seconds between opening the vents and then the dome but I will wait about 10-15 seconds next time.[p]I do have some blackening of the gasket but this has been happening a little at a time since I started using the egg.[p]Overall, the steak was great and I add this high temp cook to my self education. I've now done pizza at 550 on the stone, bread at 350 indirect, roast beef at 350 direct, ribs at 225 direct, turkey at 350 indirect, and now steak at 610 direct. Next up is small pork butt Asian style.[p]I thank you so much for your contributions. I have assembled my own self- teaching manual by printing out much of yours and others suggestions and adding them to my binder. It makes for an easily accessible reference and interesting, but stange, bed time reading. Not sure what the plot is.:)[p]Shelly[p]P.S. The egghead forum is now my home page.

• shelly
    Options
    I asked the question again to you below your first post.[p]It's reassuring that I can use my own lump, which gives a great oak flavor.[p]Thanks for your clarification and support.[p]Shelly

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Options
    shelly,[p]CO2 is most likely a combo of both. If you open the vent and the top and carefully burp like you said you should be ok. As an extra precaution you can stand to the side when opening. We don't need any eggers gettin flashed as it may hurt the reputation:-) I've started a cigar off the top btw.[p]Good luck and good eggin! [p]ps. how ya doin the asian? chili sauce-sesame oil?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Hmmm. How do you know that the blue flames aren't from remnant VOCs burning? Well-mixed with oxygen some of them will also burn with a blue flame because of the CH radical radiation. Yes, the temperature is hot enough for CO ignition and it will burn with a blue flame, but how to tell one from the other?[p]I'm not saying I know the answer - I just saw your post and it piqued my curiousity.[p]I love fire.[p]TRex