Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket-My best ever in 20 yrs.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just wanted to share with anyone interested, my successful attempt at another brisket. Some I have tried in the past were less than great, but this one I loved and so did my picky wife (when it comes to meat). I cooked all meats but the brisket has been the most inconsistant of all. [p]I bought a 7.8 lb. flat brisket from Sam's. I didn't marinate the beef at all, just a good thick rub of Pig Powder, a little extra kosher salt, pepper, a touch of msg, some pepper and a bit more red cayenne powder. [p]The flat cooked fast really in a 250 degree dome from 8 a.m. to about 6 p.m., 9 hrs total, which is about 50 min. per pound, until it achieved 190 degrees in the thickest part with my Polder. I didn't open egg until 170 degrees. I did have a drip pan with water and apple cider mix about 4-1 under it all day. Also used a few chunks of apple wood in with the natural chuck charcoal.

The egg did great, held temperature from 230 - 260 all day. I removed it about 6 pm, wrapped in H.D. foil, poured about a jigger full of apple cider in the foil and place in a cooler, wrapped in towels for 1 hour. [p]It was by far the best ever! My main squeeze wanted more and more. Usually, She leaves 50 percent with any other grilling of mine, but she ate it all even the bark which was delicious, softened from the wrapping but still tasty.

My only question now is, what is the best way to preserve the left over roast,(If we have any). I try to always freeze some for a few weeks down the road when my taste buds crave some bbq. Anyone have any suggestions for the leftovers if we have any after tomorrow? [p]One day I'm gonna learn how to post photos. [p]Carolina Wizard
Moore SC

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Bill Linder,
    man it is great to hear stories of brisket success i've never had any success so i can't tell you the best way to store your beef. [p]however if it was pulled pork i would say add a couple tablespoons of coke put in food saver bags and freeze it may work for beef also but i would use something like beef stock or beef broth instead of the coke because it is so sweet..[p]
    happy eggin
    tb
    anderson sc

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    BENTE,
    Thank you, I think that is a very good suggestion to help keep it moist and flavorful. I'll do it. [p]As far as the success, I forgot to say I think a lot is due to the quality of the meat. First time to buy a brisket from Sam's but I will be back. Or maybe I should go buy myself a Lottery Ticket or two, may be the start of a run. [p]I've had my BGE LARGE, for over 20 years and it's still as good as it ever was, it'll be an heirloom of mine. [p]Bill Linder aka Carolina Wizard (erred on the follow up form)

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Bill Linder,[p]Hmm... I just had some brisket out of the freezer.[p]Previously - I had cut them into pieces and placed into a mold. I took some of my drippings, which was refrigerated, and tossed 90% of the fat. I heated the remaining and drizzled over the the brisket that was in a mold. I put this in the freezer for 24 hours, then vacuum sealed.[p]For the cravings, reheat in boiling water or empty into a bowl, slowly defrost. If desired, add some BBQ sauce, cover and continue nuking in the microwave.[p]I apply the procedure with pulled pork and chopped beef. Sometimes I'll add BBQ before freezing in my mold, sometimes I'll do just the meat so the user can add BBQ sauce if desired.
  • Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Follow up on my brisket. We ate half last night, gave a little to my next door brother in law, and guess what I had for breakfast :o) Anyway, I don't think I am going to have a problem in saving any unless I just go ahead and cut some away now. I forgot to mention I did place my drip pan on some spacers above my pizza stone. The liquid lasted for the full cook and just began to singe to the pan just as I was taking it off, couldn't have been better.
    If there were any improvements at all to be made it would be on my rub, good...O yes. But it could be better, a bit more flavorful. Any suggestions?
    Thanks