Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size egg to buy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering purchasing the vaunted egg, and I need some advice on what size to get. "BigMurth" suggested I give the forum a try. I currently have a gas grill and a smoker, both of which I use fairly extensively. My basic problem is that the gas grill can't achieve very high temperatures, plus you don't get a whole lot of flavor from gas. So the question is: large, medium, small or mini. The large is probably not a viable option due to cost, but I'm open to suggestions. Help!

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    halokingfan, this question comes up all the time, and I wish this place had a FAQ's page, but it does not.
    Why not just look down below at:
    What size BGE do I buy!!! - Kevin J. Emmett 15:07:18 9/18/
    and that should help a lot.
    Get the large! :) You won't be sorry.
    later,
    ChefRD.

• BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    Options
    halokingfan,
    I agree--the large is optimum for the first egg, but how may people do you generally cook for? The Medium may be totally adequate. The only limiting factor is really the grilling area. You can slow cook an awful lot on even the medium, but for direct grilling it would be significantly less.
    Bill

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    halokingfan,[p]Large.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    halokingfan,[p]I don't want to "rock the boat", but I have a medium and think it is perfect (most of the time). You needs may be fifferent than others. I also have a mini and there are times that I wish I had a large too (may happen some time soon). The medium offers alot however, more cooking area is always a good thing.[p]Good luck with your new egg![p]Smokey
  • halokingfan,[p]I first bought a LGE and then a SGE. For the two of us, the SGE is fine in most situations, plus I can put it in the back of the Subaru for beach trips. For entertaining any more than four, I'd say the LGE the way to go. It certainly gives you more flexibilty to do more than one butt, a big bird, or enough ribs to feed a crowd. When I make BBQ, it's almost a no brainer to go ahead and put two butts on, given the time and effort involved. With the LGE, there is room for this. I suppose it just boils down to how many you're trying to feed. IMHO, you should consider this as a life time investment. If I were to own only one egg, it would be the LGE.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Smokey, owning a medium (MGE) and a mini (mGE), I concur entirely with your comments.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />halokingfan, I have had my Medium for over two years - it does a fantasic job! All on my site was done with the Medium BGE!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    halokingfan,
    I bought my first Egg, a large, for low and slow barbecue. It does a fantastic job - my only regret is that I waited as long as I did.
    But then I started reading this darned forum! And I tried a couple of steaks and chops on the large. They were excellent, too. But there are just two of us most of the time, and I wanted something that would reach high temps sooner. Went out and bought a small, and I haven't regretted a penny of that purchase either.