Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with King Mackerel & Red Snapper please!!!

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]I just returned from a week long vacation in Florida. I went on my first ever Deep Sea Fishing trip. It was a blast. I am now back to Missouri and am dying to try some of this fish on the egg. I have 2 King Mackerel Steaks (about 1 lb ea.) and a bunch of Red Snapper Filets. I was told in Florida that the Mackerel was great smoked. Is this true? [p]Does anyone have any recipes they could share for these catches?[p]Thanks,
Kenny

Comments

• ArtieQ
    ArtieQ Posts: 65
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Congrats on your catch. Mackerel is indeed good smoked. Do it real low like salmon. (Never done it myself, just passing on what my regular guide says do.) Use it to make smoked mackerel dip. This I have had. I believe it had a mayo base, some cheese, diced pickle, spices. Yummy. When I grill it, I marinate it in Italian salad dressing.[p]I love to grill snapper. Any of your favorite rubs will do. I like to use Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk or Swamp Venom and make tacos. Just don't overcook. Plus you can't beat fried either. or a sammich.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Sure you had a great time, when you get the king smoked, here is a plan.[p]Dip, Smoked, Mullet
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1/4-1/3 Lb. Mullet, Smoked or any other Smoked Fish
    4-6 Ozs. Cream Cheese, Softened
    3-4 Tbs. Mayonnaise
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream
    1-2 Tbs Horseradish, Fresh
    1-2 Tbs Lemon, Juice
    1-2 Tbs Chives, Fresh, Chopped Fine
    Dash Hot Sauce, Tabasco or like, to taste
    Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 Tsp Liquid Smoke, (Optional)
    1-2 Tbs Red Onion, Finely Chopped

Procedure:
    1 Debone the smoked fish and remove the skin. Chop into 1/4 inch pieces. It will break up as you mix the dip. Mix the remaining ingredients into a bowl and hand mix. An electric mixer may be used, but the fish will not be chunky.
    2 Chill in refrigerator for an hour or so or over night.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '89-'90?[p]Source: Richard Howe

[p]

• PackerFan
    Options
    Richard,[p]Thanks for the recipe. I grilled one of the pieces of Mackerel and the other is now smoking on the egg. It will certainly become the dip recipe you gave.[p]Thank you,
    Kenny

• PackerFan
    Options
    ArtieQ,[p]Thanks for the advice. I cooked the snapper at about 350 for 20 minutes in a pan. It was delicous. I grilled one piece of Mackerel and the other is smoking with Alder chips. I still have about 3 lbs of Snapper left. I plan on trying it grilled later this week. I will let you know how it turns out. I can't wait to go deep sea fishing again.[p]Thanks,
    Kenny

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    For smoking fish I follow the "The Three Men with Nothing better to do" process.

http://www.3men.com/smokeit.htm