Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What sealant to use on a BGE Cypress table?

Options
scole
scole Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Table will be uncovered, open to the elements in eastern NC.

Comments

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    At the very least, I would recommend a couple of coats of something like Olympic or Thompson's water sealer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,919
    Options
    IMG_1264.jpg
    <p />scole,
    You can use most any product made for outdoor furniture. OTOH you ought to reconsider your intention to leaving it uncovered as the best protection from the elements with sun being the most damaging is a BGE cover or at least an inexpensive tarp. Otherwise your table will soon look like this abandoned one I saw at a former dealer without repeated applications of finish.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    scole,[p]I put three heavy coats of Sparr Polyurethane on mine.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    A penetrating semi-transparent oil like Readyseal would be a good choice. The oil penetrates into the wood and keeps it from drying and getting rough. It also contains pigments that help to block out the UV that grays the wood.[p]Any exposed outdoor wood is going to need occasional maintenance. There is no permanent exterior wood finish. [p]You'll spend a lot more time maintaining a finish than you will spend applying it the first time. Because of that, I stay away from anything that forms a film. (Polyurethanes, varnishes, acrylics). I know these are popular with a lot of folks on the forum, just my own philosophy...[p]Films will eventually break down, crack and peel. Rehab is sanding away all the old finish or trying to remove it with a caustic stripper.[p]A penetrating oil finish will need occasional renewing to replace the oil that may have been washed out of the wood or to renew the UV blocking pigments. Maintenance is just cleaning the wood with a mild soap and applying more sealer after the wood has dried out from the wash. Every few applications of oil, you may need to use a deck wash mix like Cabot's.[p]Here are some pictures of my fence with 1 coat of readyseal. (also some bare wood shown) I applied a second coat later - and the color got a little darker and more brown.[p]http://www.awdriven.net/fence-gallery[p]There are other similar products, but I used Readyseal on my cedar fence and have been very happy with it. Easy to apply, and after it is dry it has a matte finish. [p]Now, readyseal is a product sold mostly to professionals who seal decks and fences. You might only be able to buy it in 5 gallon pails. [p]Baker's Gray Away is a similar product that I know you can easily get in 1 gallon pails. (More appropriate for a project this size.) You can get it here -
    http://www.restore-a-deck.com[p]

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    RRP,[p]Looks like a great potting table. Even has a round hole for a great big pot - terrific design! LOL!