Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grouper

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a grouper on the Egg. If so, how!![p]Thanks

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    fish2.jpg
    <p />Jett,
    I put it in a fish/veggie/ect pan. 400 direct. Salt, pepper, butter. Then a little lemon juice.[p]Mike

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Jett,
    This isn't an egg recipe per se, but works for me. I do it on a cast iron griddle on the egg.
    Bob
    Grouper with Roasted Corn and Peppers[p]Ingredients[p]• 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
    • 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
    • 2 cups fresh (cut from about 3 ears) or frozen corn kernels
    • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 2 pounds grouper fillets, cut to make 4 pieces[p]Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large roasting pan, combine the red and green bell peppers,
    the corn, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt, pepper, and thyme. Roast in
    the oven until the corn and peppers start to brown, about 12 minutes, stirring twice.[p]Rub the remaining tablespoon oil over both sides of the grouper. Sprinkle the grouper with the remaining
    1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and thyme. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and push the corn-and-pepper
    mixture to the sides of the pan. Put the grouper in the center of the pan, skin-side down, and cook until
    just done, about 15 minutes for 1-inch-thick grouper fillets. Serve the fish with the corn and peppers.[p]Grouper Alternatives: Other moderately firm fish to roast here include tilefish, sea bass, and cod. If
    the fillets are skinned, coat them with a bit of oil before adding to the pan.[p]This recipe has been generously contributed by www.fishingworks.com.

• Unknown
    Options
    bobbyb, Sounds great I can't wait to try it!

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    bobbyb,
    That sounds fantastic! I can hardly wait to try it and the potential for variations on both fish and seasoning seem endless. I'll bet it would be greay with tuna and most any DP rub!

• Unknown
    Options
    That's some good lookin eating. [p]I have a pan like that. Handle had wood on it - and didn't exactly fit on the egg with the handle. So I took a pair of bolt cutters and cut the handle off. I use the grill lifter to put it on and take it off the egg. Works great. [p]Use it pretty regularly for shrimp. [p]Bubba T
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Jett,[p]My favorite grouper is blackened. Dip filets in melted butter, then rub on some blackening spices. I use Paul Prudomes (sp?). [p]Little oil in a hot pan and fry 'em up. [p]I do mine in an iron skillet on a butane burner. Makes a heck of a smoke cloud. [p]I wouldn't try this on an egg, though. The oil would probably ignite.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Buzz,
    no issue there, really.
    we do tuscan ribeyes (i dunno if it's REALLY tuscan) in cast iron. marinate in herbs and olive oil, sear in a hot cast iron pan (450-500).[p]flaring-up is something the egg just doesn't do easily.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Not a criticism of your choice of fish,
    but thought you would just like to know.[p]With few exceptions, we recommend consumers avoid groupers.[p]http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=40

• Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about searing meat coated in olive oil on a pan.[p]I was talking about pan frying fish in hot oil. It doesn't take much to overheat it and ignite a fire.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Buzz,[p]I've been doing blackened fish on my Egg for some time now without incident. I believe that the recipe on the box of Paul Prudhomme's seasoning suggests swabbing the fish with melted butter rather than putting the butter directly on the skillet - that works well and would reduce the risk of burning oil. [p]Many of us also use woks in the Egg - there's more "loose oil" in my wok than when I blacken fish, but it still isn't a really large amount. You sure wouldn't want to do any deep frying in the Egg.