Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanted: marinade for smoked venison tenderloin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting the hang of the BGE now, but since it's still fairly new to me, I'm not much interested in anything but the smoking angle. Smoking was always a bit of a pain, and on the Egg it's ridiculously easy, whereas I could always grill anything without much difficulty (gas or charcoal, no major challenges there by comparison).[p]Anyway, last weekend at the last minute I decided to smoke a small venison tenderloin -- my local butcher gets them all the time, which is great -- so I left it partially frozen (barely), cut some slots in it, jammed those with garlic, put a little white pepper on it, and let it sit for awhile in some soy and olive oil in the fridge. Something basic, right?[p]Well, it worked out great -- and it came out "buttery" tender -- melt in your mouth stuff. Unfortunately even that simple marinade at about 45 minutes kind of overpowers the venison taste more than I had hoped for.[p]Last weekend was kind of a dry-run since I had never smoked venison at all before, let alone in the Egg. This weekend I have three or four of them, probably about 5 pounds total, and I'd like to let them sit in something overnight, but I'm not sure how i'd like to prep them. They'll be fully thawed this time, although cook-time on such tiny pieces isn't really an issue.[p]Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    McGuire,
    I use Italian dressing, salt and pepper. I always re-season with just a touch of salt and pepper right before putting them on the egg. Cook time for the tenderloins is about 10 minutes at 375. It is very easy to overcook the tenders so please watch them closely.
    The Italian dressing helps keep them moist and doesn’t overpower the venison flavor. Good luck.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    McGuire,
    I love to use Allegro. You will find it in most grocery stores and it comes in several flavors. From regular flavor, hickory smoke, wild game and a couple more.[p]Chef Jerry

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    McGuire,
    we actually did a pair of venison tenderloins tonight. no marinade. i love the meat as is with salt and pepper.[p]BUT[p]i slammed together a simple sauce that really made it. had some cab sauvignon (or shiraz, etc. would work), maybe a cup. added a healthy scoop of red currant jelly, and some sage from the garden. plus a bit of ginger. let it come to a boil to thicken slightly. HO LEE CRAPP unbelievable. and it lets the venison shine through.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo stike,
    I totally agree w/ you. A good killed, butchered, handled and stored tenderloin is as perfect as venison gets. I've saved your sauce recipe. I think it is real close to what I have been trying to make. The only difference is that I will use huckleberry jam. We pick 'em wild in the high mountains in late August. Kind of like a blueberry on flavor steroids.
    DTM

• Unknown
    Options
    stike,
    That's real close to what I had in mind. Didn't see this in time to try it, but I'll give it a shot next time, it sounds great. Thanks (and thanks to everyone with suggestions).

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    DTM,
    i was amazed at how simple it was and how perfect the red currant worked. not bragging or anything, we just had the stuff on hand. i bet you'd find hucklebery to be good too. is it a little tart?[p]the venison was excellent. been looking for a ready source for a LONG time, and finally found one.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo stike,
    Huckleberries are a tart very flavorful blueberry. A plant breeder, Elizabeth White, back when.. breed this N American fruit into what we buy at the grocery. Shoot me an e w/ an addy and I'll send you some jam.
    DTM
    dt..........merriman+++++++@gmail
    BTW..my venison source is local.

[ul][li]Old days bear post[/ul]