Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork too hot, too fast?

Options
newsense
newsense Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on two 8-pound Boston Butts at 5 p.m. today, indirect Elder Ward style. I stabilized the temp right away at 225 and didn't bother to check the heat of the meat until just now, at 10:30 p.m. Both butts are at 150.... I know they haven't reached plateau stage, but this seems pretty hot for this early in the cook. Any opinons?[p]

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    newsense,
    I think you'll be surprised at 225 how long the meat will hover 150-170 and then stick there till it begins its climb to 190-200.[p]I normally put my overnight cooks on closer to midnight and end up foiling it to get it done in time for dinner.[p]Your start time is probably closer to the money.[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Mine typically get to 140-150 in 5 hours or so. It's that last 50 degrees that take sooooo looooong.
  • newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I'm shooting to eat around 1 p.m., so I'm glad to know I'll be in the ballpark.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    newsense,
    If it is not getting done in time foil that bad boy around 9am and kick up the temp to 300. It'll be 190/200 in no time. You can remove it to a cooler wrapped in towels till dinner time and then shred/chop away.