Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The XL plate setter

Options
galoot
galoot Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is not a lot of room between the XL plate setter in the inverted position and grill to insert a drip pan. Those legs are kinda short as I found out breaking it in doing pulled pork over the weekend. How do you deal with that? Raise the grill with firebricks? I ended up using an oven drip pan that was about 1/2 inch high, but it doesn't seem right; I think the large plate setter has the advantage here with longer legs? Must be a way to work around this..

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smoke2much,
    use tinfoil, and fold the sides up...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p] It's actually designed to go between the firebox and the fire ring. I put it feet down and the drip pan on the platter setter.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p]I also have an XL with the plate setter. You are correct it's only about an inch (if that). I bought some Rutland firebricks from the local Ace hardware store (NakedWhiz page - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/firebricks.htm). That gives me enough room now for a normal drip pan.
    [ul][li]Firebrick page from Naked Whiz site[/ul]
  • galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    This makes sense! The fit did not seem quite right when I put it on top of the fire ring too, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. But I guess that for bread or in the case of pizza to have the stone higher, it could go legs down on top of the fire ring, right? Can't go out and look right now without shovelling some of that %$#@% snow that fell today!!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p] I use it legs down on the Fire Box and the Fire ring on it for low and slows.[p] Legs upon the fire ring when I am roasting. Legs down pizza stone on it for making breads.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Smoke2much,
    There was a post earlier today that referred to a website called Outdoorhome.com. They show the plate setter on the XL between the fire box and fire ring like Celtic Wolf said. I had no idea. That changes everything.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    nutcase,[p]I have done this on occassion. It really all depends on how much charcoal and airflow you require. I have lost a fire using this method. Not sure the bliss setup is absolute right yet..Need more cool gadgets from TOM aka Sandbagger!!

• California Sooner
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p]I use an 18 x 1-inch deep dish pizza pan as my drip pan. Fits perfectly between the plate setter and the grate.[p]www.waresdirect.com/product.asp?prodid=JR63218
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Boy is this forum awesome! I purchased the XL in Waldorf at the eggfest, including the plate-setter. Have not used it, but will this weekend. I had no idea that the plate-setter was designed to fit between the firebox and fire-ring. Thanks for the info!
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p]This forum is awesome, this solves a problem I ran into last week trying to use drip tray, I ended up using a baker's sheet with 3/4 lip, but wanted to add some apple juice for ribs and not enough room to do that. Now I can use a reqular drip pan,...better get something to try this with, [p]thanks all.