Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions re: Dr. Chicken's Old English Prime Rib Roast

Options
Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw the recipe for the "Old English Prime Rib Roast" on this forum’ Forum. I tried it and made a wonderful roast. I had a few questions, however, if any of you don't mind answerein. (I tried to e-mail Dr. Chicken, but it was returned).

First, the recipe starts with: "Place the rib roast in a shallow glass casserole dish and apply the seasonings as listed in an order." Does that mean rub the Worcestershire Sauce directly onto the meat, then rub the paprika directly onto the meat, then the garlic, then the tenderizer -- all being rubbed directly into the meat, rather than being mixed together first before being rubbed onto the meat? What does the meat tenderizer do, since the meat is pretty tender already? I didn’t have any and used a Cajun seasoning salt (Tony Chachere’s) instead.

Second, the recipe says to make a paste using rock salt, 1 tbsp. flour, and 1 tsp. water, but it does not say how much rock salt to use. A similar recipe recommended two cups of rock salt; is that about the right amount? That's the amounts I used when I tried the recipe. The recipe says that the salt coating will turn very brittle. Mine, however was more like a thick paste when the roast was done. Perhaps I was cooking the room at too low of a temperature so that the salt paste never turned hard. More about the temperature below.
Third, the temperature. The recipe calls for cooking at a dome temperature of between 500-520 degrees. Although I started the roast with the dome temperature at 520 degrees, it quickly dropped to 300-325 degrees, and I could not get it any higher than that. I used a large pizza stone over the grate that was almost as large as the diameter of the egg. I think this might have been to large and that it ended up blocking the flow of oxygen through the Egg, and that’s why it would not heat at a higher temperature. Next time I’ll probably use a couple of firebricks. By the way, what is the advantage of cooking it at such a high temperature? [p]Two more questions: first, what wood did you use? I used a combination of pre-soaked mesquite and hickory. Second, when I cook a rib-in roast, I like to cut the bones off first, and then tie them back on using butcher’s twine. Do you think that would be a good idea with this recipe. [p]The roast I cooked turned out excellent, but with some suggestions, maybe I can make it even better. I'm thinking of trying it again for father's day. [p]The link to the recipe follows.[p]Birdman
Denver, Colorado
toddthompson@qwest.net[p]

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Birdman,
    I don't know why an e-mail would be returned. I'll check my profile and see if it has the correct e-mail address.[p]Now to answer your questions..........[p]I generally do each of the items seperately, but it does not really matter. I added the tenderizer after I had 2 back to back problems with slightly tough Prime Rib roasts. I didn't want that, so the next time, I added the tenderizer. I haven't had a problem since. I strongly recommend the "Adolf's" Unseasoned, No MSG and No Sodium.... tenderizer because it will not add any unwanted "extra" taste.[p]The recipe should say; 'add 1 Tbsp. flour and 1 Tbsp. water to 1 cup of rock salt'. You can use rock salt, ice cream salt or Kosher salt for the salt mixture. I believe Sprinter and One Feral Kat use the Kosher salt. The kosher salt, is a whole lot more appealing! If you used 2 cups of rock salt, I would suspicion the mix was a little too dry to really form a paste.[p]I don't know why it would not turn brittle! Unless, it was the lower cooking temperature. I've never had that problem, but also, when I used a large pizza stone as a deflector plate, it would block too much of the heat rise. Try going with a medium pizza stone in the large as a deflector plate. It will give about 1.5 inches of clearance around the stone and the heat will rise very well.[p]The elderly lady that gave me the recipe, insisted that the temperature be between 500 degrees and 550 degrees. She was very adamant about that! When I first tried the recipe, in the oven it set off every smoke alarm in the house and the garage. It was annoying to say the least! Every time we tried it in the oven, it did the same thing. We finally disconnected the alarms while we were cooking it. I adjusted the temp. recommendation when I adapted the recipe for the Egg.[p]The high temps. I think crystalize the salt a lot quicker and seal in all the juices. IMHO only though! I may be all wet![p]I usually use pecan wood for a cut like this or, white oak. Both of them give such a tremendous flavor, it's unbelievable! I don't think the mesquite/hickory combination would be wrong, it is what ever your preference in taste is.[p]When I do a "bone-in-roast", I too tie the bones back on to give it added flavor. That's a trick my brother, who is a butcher taught me a long time ago. It really works too![p]I do think you'll have better luck, using the fire bricks as long as you don't block too much of the heat rise.[p]E-mail me at the link shown by double clicking on my name in the posted by. I'll send you my drawings of how I set my cook up.[p]Good luck and Happy Father's day in advance![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Birdman,
    Our friend Dr. C filled you in with some great details. Only thing I wanted to add was a possible solution to your temp dropping. But i have a question.[p]Did you have the dome temp stabilized with the pizza stone, and your indirect setup in place??
    Plenty of lump?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks. I would get the BGE very hot. Then I would add the soaked wood chips, then put the pizza stone on the grate. The temp would then decrease and stabalize in the low 300s, and would not rise even when I opened the vents. I used plenty of lump.[p]Thanks,
    Birdman

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Birdman,
    I wonder if the stone time to heat through. I have not seen a stone, or any barrier prevent reaching 500. I am at a loss here for an answer. Dry lump, hot fire, ash cleared from the grate holes, plenty of lump. Should work. Dang[p]cheers!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Birdman,[p]Anything you add into your Egg will represent a draw on the heat available for the cook until it heats to the cooking temperature. The smaller the Egg, the more this is noticable. Airflow is needed to allow the temperature to quickly rise. If the added mass (setup and meal) blocks good airflow, the temp will stall.[p]A soaked chip should not be wet. Excess water on the chips will wet the lump and can help quench the fire.[p]Spin
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    I am curious about something, the use of wood with a salt crust. Will the smoke flavor actually penetrate the salt and flavor the meat? I am only asking because I do not know.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I've asked my self that question numerous times! But, in all honesty the smoke does penetrate the meat fairly well. If you get a chance, e-mail me and I'll give you the theory as it was explained to me.[p]I'll get back with you this evening. I'm headed to bed now![p]Have a good one![p]Dr. Chicken