Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey leg

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The turkey leg I smoked a few weeks ago at 230 degrees and for 3 hrs. or so turned out a bit dry, on the outer 1/2 inch of the leg. My questions to the eggsperts, should I have foiled at some point or maybe sprayed the leg or both? Thanx
Molly

Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Eggcitable Boy
    Options
    cookn biker,[p]Turkey legs dont have a lot of fat content, so maybe 3 hours was a bit too long, even at 230 degrees. Did you use a probe to check the temp of the leg meat? I generally cook turkey on my Egg much like I do in the oven, around 325 degrees due to the low fat content, and pull when the breast meat gets around the low 160's. I almost always 'brine' my turkeys to add some more moisture within. I havent tried just turkey legs exclusively, but usually do a whole turkey, around 12 pounds. Get yourself a Polder programable meat thermometer so you can monitor the meat temperature as it cooks, and establish a 'set point' before you put the meat on the Egg. Its almost always 'foolproof' this way. Happy Egging, and enjoy the snow we are about to get tonight and tomorrow!!!.........Eggcitable Boy

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Eggcitable Boy,
    thanx alot for the feedback. I did monitor the temp, but you are right, probably to long of a cook. better luck next time.
    Molly

[ul][li]http://o[/ul]
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    b23614e8.jpg
    <p />cookn biker,[p]Your pit temp is right in the ball park for hot smoking and I have to agree with Eggcitable Boy in that you need to watch the temp not the time. I take mine to 175° internal.[p]Your brine has a lot to do with the finished product, what did you use? Also braising them following smoking, in a pot or in foil makes them more pullable.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery