Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Advice Needed

Options
KNolish
KNolish Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm preparing pulled pork for a memorial service next Sunday. About 40 to 50 people are expected. It's a pot luck, so pulled pork won't be the only item on the menu. About how much pork should I figure on making?[p]Also, the get together is after the church service on Sunday so I was figuring on barbecuing Saturday. What's the best way to reheat? I won't be able to barbecue Sunday morning.[p]

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    pulledpork.jpg
    <p />KNolish,
    I cooked 18 lbs of butts a couple weeks ago. It gave me approx 7 lbs of finished product. When I use to cater, we figured 1/4 lb of meat per person. Assuming it would be a mix of adults and kids.
    To reheat, I would just put in an aluminum pan with a little coke-cola and your sauce and put in the oven.
    HTH[p]Mike

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I'd do at least two butts. They all seem to be around 8 lbs around here.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    If the sauce you use is is thick like catsup how much do you thin it out?Like if you had one but would you use 1 cup of sauce to 1/2 cup coke?

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    darnoc,
    I haven't reheated a large amount lately. When I reheated about 3 lbs the other day. About 1/2 jar sauce (8 oz.) and maybe a couple ozs. coke.
    I don't like too my sauce, I want them to taste the meat. They can always add more. [p]Mike

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    i would plan 1/2 lbs per person pre cooked weight
    with serving size as 1/4 lbs cooked weight
    you are going to loose about 50% weight
    of its pre cooked weight

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I agree.Just like a little bit of gravey on taters.Yhanks.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Man oh man, you Texans are into sweet sauces; Coke-cola? You guys need to come to North Carolina where barbeque is both a verb and a noun and sauce has no katsup or sugar, just vinegar and red pepper flakes. We'd show you the light!! And if you don't believe me, ask Celtic Wolf, he knows.[p]Regards,
    Morro Bay Rich

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    HUH! I'm from Missouri, no one from Texas has adopted me yet. LOL I have some Tennesse Red, needs a little honey.[p]Mike

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Missouri?? I thought you were a Texan. You were in their booth in Atlanta smoozing with Chubby. Please excuse my confusion and the insult. LOL[p]And no matter where you are from, sauce should NOT be sweet ;-o)[p]Rich

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    They graciously let me join their contingent that day.
    BTW, my ribs had a sweet sauce on them. If you go to Atlanta, have me bring you a bottle of Tennesse Red. It would suck on ribs.
    Great on pulled pork.[p]Mike

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Mike,[p]I do have to admit that your Eggfest rib was spectacular. The problem with Atlanta is there were too many people there for the number of ribs you had available.[p]Now that I'm your good buddy, maybe we can work out a deal.[p]Rich

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    I have fallen into the trap. I've been using this Forum as an e-mail vehicle. I won't do it again. Sorry.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    It didn't help Chubby "Helping out with one slab" another slab got taken as well. It went to nice people. I would have cooked 12 slabs if they would have given me 2 eggs.[p]Mike

• KNolish
    KNolish Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded. According to my wife, "The cult came through again!"[p]I think that I'll do 2 8-10 lb. butts.[p]Discretion being the better part of valor, I think that I'll make up both a vinagar sauce and something thicker and sweeter. Let the people decide.[p]