Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying first BGE, need advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never experience the Egg, I'm excied about getting one.[p]Not sure of L or XL. I like to sometimes have two or three other couples over, plus kids, and I'm worried that the L will not be big enough.[p]HOwever, for everyday stuff, it's just me, the wife, and two kids. Is the XL okay for everyday cooking, is it versatile enough when preparing smaller meals?[p]Not too concerned about the $ difference, but don't want to get both an XL and a M at this time.[p]Just need versatility, but I hate not to use the Egg for larger gatherings.[p]Any advice is greatly appreciated.[p]

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    bluetick1998,
    I've entertained plenty of larger groups with just one large. PP is always a hit or brisket or both. I've cooked quite a few ribs at one time putting them on their side in a rib rack also.[p]Burgers and dogs you can do in waves.[p]Pizzas are a good larger crowd item also.

• houndog
    houndog Posts: 6
    Options
    bluetick1998,[p]Haven't experienced cooking on the XL but since moving up from a medium to a large egg I have had no problem using it for entertaining guests. Might have to be a little more creative cooking some things spacewise but I think considering for the most part you will be using it for just the family the large might work out better. Curious about your forum name. Bluetick owner? I've got a treeing walker right now but I sure miss my last dog. Beautiful bluetick named Bessie.
  • bluetick1998,
    I have to agree with the other responses so far. My large has been perfect for everything I have cooked so far. If you are worried about grilling surface area, get yourself a "Grill extender". I personally think the xl still has a few kinks to work out, but, the large is a tried and true design. I know you will love yours as much as we all love ours. Welcome, you are on your way to being an Egghead!!!

• Revolution
    Revolution Posts: 130
    Options
    bluetick1998,[p]If you need to cook more than one 20lb turkey, six slabs of ribs, or 4 chickens, then maybe the XL, but I have fed groups of 20 and more with the large.
    The large works great for just the family as well.[p]-Charlie

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bluetick1998,
    if your looking for versitility, you want 2 eggs. i use a large/ small combo, but some may opt for 2 larges. 2 different setups and or 2 different temps. i would get the large, ive had over 30 pounds of butt and brisket in the large at once which feeds alot, and add a second later when you know more about cooking with eggs. i do alot less grilling hotdogs and hamburgers now, think roasts, leg of lamb, prime rib, pulled pork, briskets when cooking for larger crowds. regardless of wht you get, most add a second egg down the road

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    You'll be just fine with the Large....You can cook 32 pounds of Boston Butt on a large...Three or four full sized chickens (beer can style)....An 18 - 20lb. brisket....30+ chicken wings....You can double deck the insides for additional cooking space....And I'd rather have TWO larges instead of one XL...And I do!....That way you can cook two different deals at the same time.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• BUBBA
    BUBBA Posts: 16
    Options
    bluetick1998,[p]I am a brand new egger (as in just got my egg the day before yesterday) and because of a really good deal, I went with the XL. I agree with everyone that has posted that you can cook for 20+ people on a large egg but can you cook 12+ steaks on a large? You may, but it would be really tight. [p]Like you I enjoy having 3 or 4 couple over to the house and with the XL don't worry if I'll have enough room. Plus I can still use it to cook for just me and my wife, it's just going to use more lump.[p]Let me say, that the filets that I cooked last night were the best steaks I have ever cooked! (Thanks to TRex's recipe!)[p]So go with you gut and buy what you think you need...[p]Bubba
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    bluetick1998,
    I can cook for the hood on my large[hound dogs have good noses]. Not crazy about the low dome lid on the xl, not sure if a fat turkey will fit. I've done a 26# free range bird on my large with no problem.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• I have an extra large and love it. I too had a hard time chosing between the large and extra large. Can't say I regret my purchase. [p]Two issues with the extra large. 1) You can not use the spring assist as it lifts the back of the lid off the gasket thus burning your gasket. Two you will use more lump. [p]I don't care what folks say about how much you can cook on a large, When you throw a real party you will run out of room. I could have two extra large and not have enough grill space. Next year I am going to ask my wife for another one. [p]Good luck on your purchase!
  • I'm still a little undecided, but I'm leaning towards the large.
  • I do love Blueticks, and hope to own a bluetick one day. However, the screen name is due to my allegiance to my Tennessee Vols. The mascot, Smokey, is a bluetick, and 1998 was the year we won it all in football.[p]I'm absolutely heartbroken over the BB loss last night. Tough one to swallow.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    bluetick1998,[p]Let me chime in here. I own two XL eggs, two large eggs and a small.[p]I cater and compete. The XL will hold 24+ pound bird. It will hold 60+ pounds of pork. It will comfortablely hold 15 racks of St. Louis Style ribs. It will hold 50-60 ABT's. It will cook a 21" pizza. I could easily feed a 100 people with ONE XL depending on the menu. I could also feed 50+ people with my large. It WILL use 1/3 more lump then the large. [p]My question is: Are you feeding a 100+ people?[p]If you have the cash for the XL, then buy a large and a small. You will be happy. For everyday cooks my small gets the most work. When my 20+ family comes over then I fire up the XL. Now that one of my large eggs is on the porch it will be used instead of the XL.
  • bluetick1998,
    I have a large, and I have used it for everything from a single meal for myself (a bit wasteful of lump, but what the hell) up to a rib party for about 15-20 folks. As Celtic Wolf says, the XL is basically for serious, large-scale "commercial" cooking. If you just plan to cook for family and friends, the large is plenty big. If you can afford a XL, get a large and a nice collection of eggcessories.[p]Hank