Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cast iron pan on the Egg

dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited 7:25AM in EggHead Forum
You guys leave the handle on or cut it off? [p]I've seen one with a detached handle (three prong type) that you can use to put it on and take it off the grill at Meijers. Anyone ever use one of those? I wonder how stable/secure it is carrying the pan around with that handle. [p]

Comments

• Hoss's BBQHoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    dhuffjr,
    The pan I use is one of the 15inch were the handle is broken off. That is how I got it from work. Can you pick it up and walk down an aisle at meijers with it, to see how stable it is?

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    dhuffjr,[p] All my iron still have the handles. Though I don't think my large Skillet will fit in my Large egg. It fits right nice in the XL.
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Hoss's BBQ,
    Its all sealed up in a box.

• dhuffjr,
    open it! it's meijers, not dorothy lane market. just tell them your hand slipped, heheh[p]i can't bring myself to cut off the handle on my new 10.5" lodge griddle.

• RRPRRP Posts: 16,147
    IMG_1629.jpg
    <p />Rick's Tropical Delight,
    after you cut off the first one you get hardened to the idea and the others are easier!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • RRP,
    and the cut off pieces will make a fine wind chime!
    hahaa

• eggaholiceggaholic Posts: 309
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    use them for feet under pots to raise off platesetter.

• eggaholic,
    perfect! then i can put the butter knives back in the drawer

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,950
    Celtic Wolf,
    Yet another plus to the XL.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    Photo Egg,[p] Well my Big Skillet is REALLY big.[p]
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,358
    dhuffjr, if you have harbor freight nearby, check the link. They are not lodge, but for the price, ya can't go wrong. Last summer, I also picked up a big 16" diameter skillet from HF, but can't find it on their website. For $10, I don't mind abusing these pans on the egg....T
    [ul][li]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44707[/ul]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • dhuffjr,[p]i've never seen a pan like that. do you have a link for it online, so i can see a picture of it???

• Hoss's BBQHoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Celtic Wolf,
    What size is it I own two 22inch skillets

• dhuffjr,
    I use a 15 inch lodge cast iron pizza pan for searing. It works pretty well in the large but doesn't have sides.
    Paul

Hoss's BBQ,[p] Size smaller I believe. The pan and the handle fits on the 24" XL grate.
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,358
    Celtic Wolf, here is one at northern tool. It's backordered, but if you have a store nearby, they can order for you... T[p]

[ul][li]http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315073_200315073[/ul]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    tjv,[p] Thanks.. I am happy with what I got at the moment.. [p]I think I would need some major justification to buy any cooking stuff this close to my wife's birthday :) Like I need to feed the Secret Service cause the President is spending the day on the Farm..[p]
    KaiserSoze,
    I looked and could not find one. The handle had three prongs, one over the rim and two supporting it.

tjv,
    I do. I've looked before and they didn't have them. Maybe as summer gets closer.

• RRP,
    what tool do you use to cut the handles off?

• RRPRRP Posts: 16,147
    IMG_0190.jpg
    <p />ken baker,
    plain old common hack saw. Actually cast iron is a rather soft metal as metal goes. After the removal I used a bench grinder to round off to get this versatile little beauty.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL