Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First real failure

NewbsNewbs Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked up some "country ribs" on my BGE last night and for the first time in over a year filled with terrific results, I had a failure.
These weren't the pork shoulder steaks, or butt-chops that are sometimes called country ribs. These were the odd cuts...the ones with two stubby ends of rib at either end...part loin(white meat) and part shoulder (darker meat). I marinated them overnight in some diced onion, garlic, canola oil, seeded mustard and some dry rub all mixed together. The marinade was fantastic. The problem was the meat. I put the probe in the loin part and when it hit 149, I pulled it off the grill. I had them on a raised grid with a dome temp of 350-375. They were on for about an hour. Well the loin bit was the only part I could eat. The rest of it was either horribly undercooked, or rubbery , or full of chewy connective tissue. Just plain awful. I ate the loin bits and carved the rest up and tossed it into the fridge.
Soooo....[p]I have two questions.[p]1) Has anyone had success with this type of pork?[p]2) Any suggestions for what to do with the leftovers? I'm thinking something along the lines of chili or pork n beans or some sort of slow cooked meal that I can toss alot of leftover pork into.[p]Thanks,[p]John

Comments