Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transferring Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first shot at pizza and, despite all attempts to screw it up, it somehow ended up great. One major problem we ran into....[p]This is going to sound really stupid I'm sure, but my wife and I couldn't figure out how to easily transfer our uncooked pizza from the pan to the peel to the stone on the grill. It became a two person job with lots of hands and frustration and heat. I didn't want to risk putting oil on the crust because I didn't want to get it on the stone. How is this done? Any help is greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks in advance!
Sleepy

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Sleepy,
    At least it turned out great :)
    When I started making pizzas I "built" them on a cookie tray which I covered with a layer of corn meal.
    This allowed me to slide them, with the help of a spatula, onto the pizza stone.
    It was not perfect and quite a few came out anything but round. One was so bad I had to fold it into a calzone.[p]Anyhoo - then I got a superpeel and have had nothing but success.[p]My solution involves spending money but this is the best thing since Thermapens IMO.

[ul][li]SuperPeel Link[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    pizza.jpg
    <p />Sleepy,
    If you roll your dough out on a sheet of parchment paper, it won't stick to the peel and you can bake right on the paper. Look close and you can see the paper. It falls right off when baked. This also works great for bread. -RP

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Sleepy,
    I've found it's best to build the pie on the peel. Before you put the dough on the peel, put a light layer of corn meal on the peel, then the dough. Then, build the pie. Once ready, it'll slide on and off the stone easily.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Sleepy,
    Build the pie on the peel. Spread a small amount of cornmeal on the peel and then give the peel a shake every couple of minutes if you aren't going to get the pie straight onto the stone. If doing multiple pies, you should probably get 2 peels. Build on one peel while you remove the other pie on the other peel. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks everyone! Corn meal, huh? Will give it a go. TNW, I'm remembering now that I read that on your site, but I guess I got so caught up in everything else on the first go that I forgot it. This will make us a happy family again, as my vegetarian wife was none-too-pleased with the chicken and bacon sliding on to her half....
  • Mayberry Smoker
    Options
    Sleepy,
    Had the same problem with my first pizza. Tried the parchment paper and it worked like a charm. Pizza slid right off cookie sheet onto the egg and when it was done slid right back onto cookie sheet and the parchment paper came right off.