Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Pulled Pork (Naked Whiz style)

MattMatt Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All --[p]I'm going to try my first pulled pork on the Egg this weekend. I've got plans for Friday and friends coming for dinner on Saturday, so I anticipate a 12-hour cook on Saturday. I've already rubbed the shoulder to get the pellicle working.[p]So, I was looking at the instructions on Naked Whiz about how much charcoal is needed for an overnight cook. I anticipate that a 12-hour cook will take a comparable amount of time (the amount of energy transferred to the meat in either case). But, in the NW picture, it looks like there is a significant amount of fuel left over. How much do I really need? How about placement of my wood chunks within the firebox?[p]Thanks a bunch.[p]Matt
·

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 103
    Whoops....should read, "the same amount of energy is transferred to the meat in either case"....[p]Stupid beer....
    ·
  • NewbsNewbs Posts: 188
    Matt,[p]I thought my cook would take 16hrs based on the weight of the two butts that I had on and a rough 90mins/lb estimate. They ended up taking 23hrs. I'd give myself a big cushion time-wise just to be safe. The butts will hold temp quite nicely wrapped in foil, then wrapped in towels and placed inside an inulated picnic cooler.
    As for fuel. Better to have some left over at the end of the cook than have your fire go out on you due to fuel exhaustion
    3/4 of the way through the cook.[p]Fill 'er up and let 'er run.[p]Hope it goes as planned for you and your guests.[p]Cheers,[p]John

·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Matt,
    My cook of a 7.8 lb butt took 19 hrs at 250 deg. I filled the firebox to the top and had some lump left.[p]As to building the fire: big chinks on the bottom and build up going to smaller and smaller chunks.

·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Matt,[p] Fill it up to the top of the Fire Box with clean fresh lump.
    ·
    Fill it up to the top of the Fire Box with clean fresh lump.
    [p]And thanks to you, I'll be filling that fire box with Wicked Good charcoal.[p]Thanks again.
    ·
    Matt,

you are welcome :)[p]

·
  • wobinwobin Posts: 211
    Newbs,
    Agree, never had a butt done in 12 hours, most of mine take 18 to 20 hours. Be careful, your friends may be eating the shoe leather express.[p]Cheers, Glenn

·
    wobin,[p]Note the timestamps on the two photos :) 7.5 bone-in each.
    (look ma no mustard)
    buttstart.jpg
    buttfinish.jpg

·
    wobin,[p]I've done it in 12 hours on my log burner many times. There are plenty of folks who roast butts in the oven at 350 and turn out excellent meat. The biggest issue is hitting your 190-200 finishing temperature -- how slowly you get there is important, but less so.[p]Matt
    ·
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Celtic Wolf,[p]No drip pan?
    ·
    Haggis,[p] I gave up trying to put on in that small space.
    ·