Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many butts?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many butts can you fit on a large Egg and still get them cooked in a reasonable time frame? [p]I'm cooking for a crowd this weekend. [p]Interested in knowing how many you more seasoned Eggers fit on it and also how you set it up and arrange them. [p]Thanks,
Bubba T

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    if you can do a two level cook, i would imagine 7 or 8.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bubba_T,
    I did four butts on a large with a grid extender. I suppose I could have squeezed a fifth on. As long as they don't touch each other, they will only take a small amount of time longer than doing two butts or one butt. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, even if they touch each other they will cook pretty quickly. I have put 5 8-pounders on a large egg just by placing three on the grill and two on top of those. They cooked in 14-18 hours (it was odd as to which one got done first - I had 4 Eggs set up with 40 lbs on each and I found on one egg it would be the top one while on another it was a bottom one). Make sure you measure the temp of each butt. They did not finish all at the sam etime.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Bubba_T,
    I did these four totaling 32 pounds for Christmas and they turned out great. No problem with them cooking equally. I just let the Egg and Guru do their thing. Took about 20 hours if I remember correctly. Best ever too.[p]Firsttime4butts12-17-06.jpg[p]Spring "Hauling Butt" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Appreciate the responses. Especially the pic, Spring "Four Butted" Chicken. [p]Do any of you ever cook the butts standing on edge rather than laid flat on the grill. [p]Thought someone had posted a pic of that a while back. [p]BTW, I need to cook 4 8# butts for lunch Saturday. Took me 23 hours the last (and only) time I cooked two of em on my egg. Hoping won't take that long this time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bubba_T,
    It shouldn't take that long, get your dome temp to 250 and make sure you calibrate the thermometer. -RP

• EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    Bubba_T,
    Did 5 7-8lb butts with home-made grill extender. 3 on bottom, 2 on top. The three on bottom touched but did not seem to matter. The 2 on top could have cooked about another 2 hours as they did not pull as easily as the bottom 3. Temp was lower but I ran out of time and they were 190 compared to 195 on the bottom.[p]Good to get the Egg very steady before putting meat on as that large amount of meat definitely cooled things down a bit. Need to watch that the top meat does not hit the BGE dome themometer. [p]Took about 18.5 hours at 250-260 dome. No guru or anything but a device like that would help a cook like this alot from what I have read on this forum. Gotta bite the bullet and get one soon I think !

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    DSC01996.jpg
    <p />Bubba_T,
    At least 4 if you have a grid extender. This was two 7-8lb butts on top of a 15lb brisket. I fed over 25 people, but there wasn't much left....[p]Good luck.