Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you add wood chips on top of the coals when you use a plate setter?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found a convenient way to add wood chips to the coals when using a plate setter and drip pan? Chips can be dropped along the side of the plate setter, but they would burn/smoke better if they could be placed more in the center of the fire box, directly under the plate setter.

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    How much smoke do you need? If you are using chips are you soaking them in water before use?If you put the chips in the center and the outer edges you should be ok.If you want it to smoke for a longer period of time you should use chunks rather than chips.To much smoke can be a bad thing.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    How much smoke do you need? If you are using chips are you soaking them in water before use?If you put the chips in the center and the outer edges you should be ok.If you want it to smoke for a longer period of time you should use chunks rather than chips.To much smoke can be a bad thing.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Chuck/Tx
    I use Orka mitts and lift the plate setter out, place the wood chunks and set the plate setter back and off we go.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I use a mitt to tilt the platesetter, drop in a chunk, and kick it over to the center with the ash tool. If the chunk is skinny enough to fit down beside the platesetter without tilting, so much the better. But at night you'll need a flashlight to find your chunk down there to move it over.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    i use a piece of paper or cardboard- place one end between the fire ring & platesetter gap and drop the wood chips on it so they slide onto the lump
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    When I set up for a low 'n slow I fill my large up to the top of the firebox with lump. After I get the lump lit, I place several soaked wood chunks in several places on top of the lump. Sometimes, I mix a few chunks in with the lump as I am filling the egg. Usually, I like to just fill up to the top of the fire ring with the soaked smoking wood of choice. The legs-up platesetter is sitting right on top of the wood chunks, in most cases. I like a lot of smoke when cooking butts. But that's just me.[p]After that I set up the platesetter, drip pan and grid. I have never had to remove anything to add more lump or smoking wood. This set up has lasted for 18+ hours on many occasions. Don't be afraid to fill 'er up, my man![p]:)[p]BGE020.jpg[p]BGE016.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    i mix chips in throughout the lump as i build the fire. the actual part which burns is very small, so you can't get too much smoke at any one time, since all the lump (and therefore chips) aren't ever burning at once.[p]never any need to add.[p]one point that may save you a step, soaking is useful in smokers where the chips might otherwise burn, but they don't flame up in the egg. there's no spare oxygen...[p]just like chicken done direct. it's fat doesn't casue flare-ups because the lump has consumed the O2. in fact, it smolders, making for 'bad smoke' sometimes

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I do this often. I hold a spatula below the platesetter and bounce the chips off it and into the center of the fire.
    Paul

• Thanks for the replies. For low and slow (long cooks), I've always used chunks, some burried down in the charcoal and some on top. But when I cook something like a whole chicken or pork tenderloin indirect, something that takes from 30 minutes to an hour, I've been using chips and that's where I've had the problem. I always put the plate setter in when I start the fire and then wait a half hour for the cooker to warm up before I put the meat on. If I were to put chips in when I start the fire, they would be burned up before I put the meat on. Maybe I need to use chunks instead of chips anytime I'm using a plate setter, or else use welders gloves to lift it while I throw chips in, as one of you suggested. Again, thanks for the replies. Helps to know how others do it. I wish the egg had a direct access door to the fire like most smokers. Maybe, someday the manufacturer will start making them with one.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    119_1966.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx, I'll sometimes do this for smoke on a quick cook...

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.