Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

my first ribs

phreakingeekphreakingeek Posts: 34
edited 7:50AM in EggHead Forum
126342143-M.jpg
<p />So, after much preparation...finally got to egg some ribs for the first time.[p]could have used a bit longer in the egg since they weren't 'fall off the bone' but the flavor of the rub with the sweet apple juice crust was out of sight![p](and yes, i ordered the plate setter and picked up some big-ass pans to replace that nickel sized pie plate i found in the pantry)
·

Comments

• UGAVETUGAVET Posts: 577
    phreakingeek,
    good job on the raised grid. did you remove the membrane off the back of the ribs? how long did you cook them?

·
  • ugavet,[p]yes, membrane off. [p]cooked them for a total of about 3.5 hours...[p]basically when the temps hit the mark on my instant read thermometer, we were dying to eat.
    ·
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    phreakingeek, I dont use water pans in the Egg, as you really dont need to, but for a drip pan I use those alum pizza pans, they fit perfect between the legs of the platesetter

·
  • UGAVETUGAVET Posts: 577
    phreakingeek,
    if you want them more tender, try foiling them for an hour with a little apple juice in the bottom of the foil after your initial 3 hours then pull them out of foil and sauce back on the grill.

·
  • UGAVET,
    will do...sounds like just the ticket to get that resturant tenderness while having the real home bbq flavor.[p]mmmmm i can taste it now...brb, got to go buy more ribs.

·
  • jbrodiejbrodie Posts: 111
    phreakingeek, I believe most on this sight use a 3-1-1 method or some variation of it. 3 hrs. indirect. 1 hr. wrapped in foil. 1 hour with foil removed. Sauce in last 15 min. Some remove the plate setter for the last hour of cooking. Dome temp at 250*. Jim.[p][p][p]
    ·