Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Great Brisket Adventure - long

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So Friday night I decided to cook a brisket for the Saints/Bears game on Sunday. Go to the store get an 11.4 pounder plus all the other requisite stuff, get home stick it in the fridge, call it a day. [p]Saturday morning at 8:00 I'm up and cleaning out the egg, building a fire and getting the egg ready, and its 45 degrees out, windy and I'm in a t-shirt and shorts, but that's my fault. Finish with the egg and start working on the brisket, get it ready, then back in the fridge. I'm planning on putting the meat on at noon, shooting for about 10am Sunday to come off. I light the egg at 10 because I have to go around the corner to my parents house and help them all day. So I light it, set the vents to just barely open and go to the folks house.[p] Noon rolls around and I come back home planning to put the brisket on and go back to my parents. I check the egg and - OH NO - RUNAWAY EGG, RUNAWAY EGG. Yep, the egg was cooking along at 350, oh #%#@. Well I had no choice but to throw the brisket on and hope that if I tightened the dampers up that big hunk of cold meat and liqid in the drip pan would bring it down fairly quickly. So I throw it on, hope for the best and go back to work. I swing back by around 3:00 and everything is perfect - :) - guess I got lucky - back to work. I finally return, finished for the day at 6:00 - and the egg has fallen to about 165 - oh no!!. So I open the dampers back up ever so little and start watching while I'm getting ready to go out to dinner for my wife's birthday. Leave for dinner around 7:00 and everything is cooking along nicely, the egg is back up to a nice 230 and doing well. Get home from dinner around 10:30, all systems still in the green - 230 and cooking away - call it a day and go to bed.[p] Wake up at 5:00am this morning (Sunday) and egg is at 240, brisket at 170 - cool, back to bed. Roll over at 7:30 starting to think about starting the day and decide to check on the egg. Egg at 240, brisket at 203! A full 13 degrees past the cherished 190 temp that brisket is normally pulled at - DAMNIT. So I pull it off in my PJ's, cut off the point, put it back on for burnt ends, and foil the brisket and stick it in the cooler. Taste test while removing the point indicated all was good, but I'll have to wait till 2:00 (game time) to find out. [p]If you made it to the end of my great adventure - wanna wager on the out come? I'm giving 6 out of 10 that it'll be ok.[p]I'll post back the results when known - Go Saints!!

Comments