Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Succulent Chicken ????

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My family loves my chicken and cornish hens cooked on the egg. I have beer butted them, spatch cocked them, cooked them direct and indirect.
My question is this. I already cook great chicken, but I have had better. What in the process makes the meat extra tender and juicy? Lower heat/ higher heat, direct / indirect, skin on / skin off, brime / no brime, what is the true secret to making the best chicken ever.

Comments

• Louisiana Redneck,[p]Lower heat causes less evaporation of moisture and gives you more time to dissolve the cologen into flavor and tenderness. Cooking at 225 degrees will take more time but produce a juicier bird.[p]The two drawbacks are that the skin will not be as nice as higher temps can produce and the cooking time is harder to predict.[p]I have cooked chicken thighs at 225 degrees for 4 hours direct and produced what everyone claimed were the best the have ever had. Cooking this long made the skin excellent.[p]Spin
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I cooked a 4lb chicken the other day. Sprinkled 2 TBL of kosher salt over it and placed in the refrig. for 23 hours.[p]Then cooked for 55 minutes at 425.[p]I thought it was fairly juicy.[p]Toy Man
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    Try to braise them.Cut your cooking time in half.Cook the chicken the first half direct,indirect etc, then put in pan with 3/4 to 1 cup liquid and seal the pan shut with foil.Cook for the remaining half of time.Remove foil and cook direct with your favorite sauce to glaze the chicken on both sides.About two min each side or to how crisp you want it to get.

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    darnoc,
    3-2-1 chicken sounds good to me.[p]I made Chicken Cacciatore last night and wondered why I didn't brown the chicken thighs on the Egg.