Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerked Grouper

Options
Bobby Que
Bobby Que Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found where to post recipes on the forum, and will post the recipe for Jerked Grouper that chef Eric Weber gave me.[p]However, on reflecting on the ingredients, I think that Eric did not proportion several ingredients in the rub properly. He indicated "3 bunches" of scallions, and with the rest of the ingredients being in small quantities, I think this should be changed to "3 scallions".
The amount of ginger also may be a bit to much, so I will recommend 1/4 to 1/2 inch of that. And, 2 habenero peppers may be a touch to much heat for some people, so I am going to change that to 1-2 peppers.[p]I posted the recipe exactly as given to me by Eric and hope that no one made the jerk marinade with the large amount of scallions? Three bunches of them seem to me like it would make a greenish paste instead of a marinade once whipped up in a processor.[p]I will be at a Food TV filming here in Tampa later this morning, and Eric Weber is supposed to be there. I will try to clarify the quantities if I can get his attention. Then, I will repost any new changes that will be made.[p]Hope that this is not confusing to anyone. I do not want to submit the recipe until I have a chance to go over it again with Eric. I apologize for not catching what may be disproportional amounts of items in the recipe beforehand. He is used to cooking for big groups of people in his restaurant, and may have had trouble transposing the recipe for a smaller group?[p] [p]

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Bobby Que,[p]Tell us more about the Food TV taping.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bobby Que, I made a half-recipe of the jerk sauce. I used four scallions up to the point where the tops split off (about half white, half green). I would certainly like to know how much of the entire scallion to use. As for the ginger, I used about half what the full recipe called for and I did not think it was excessive. However, since ginger is a root, an inch can vary quite a lot in quantity. But the jerk sauce sure was good no matter how much I messed it up.

• Bobby Que
    Options
    char buddy ,[p]I just returned from the Food TV expo at the Tampa convention Center. They taped several upcoming shows, like "Live TV" and such. Also, had booths with noted area restaurants serving nice tidbits, and several national booth serving wine and beer. I was a guest of Chef Jimmy Gherardi, a noted chef in the cincinnati area. He goes
    around the country for Cisco Products.[p]I found Chef Eric Weber, and he assures me that even though the 3 bunches of scallions and 1/2 inch of ginger may seem to be a bit much, his experimentation with jerk sauce shows this to work- so I will post his recipe unchanged in the Seafood section. [p]Enjoy.

• Bobby Que
    Options
    Wise One,[p]You must have felt like I did when perusing the recipe. It sounded like a lot of scallions. I talked to Chef Eric today. Eric said to go for 3 bunches of scallions and 1/2 inch of ginger in his recipe. I will post this in the Seafood section of submitted recipes.[p]Thanks[p]
  • Bobby Que
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Use the white parts and a little of the green. Once again, Eric uses 3 bunches of scallions in the recipe I have placed in the Seafood section of submitted recipes.[p]

• Bobby Que
    Options
    I added the Jerked Grouper recipe to the seafood section of Submitted recipes today.
    Thanks to all for comments.
    Please let me know what you think of it.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bobby Que,
    That sounds great. I hope to try it this week. Thanks for posting the recipe.[p]Chuck