Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a Dutch Oven over christmas and am looking for something good to cook in it on the egg I have seasoned it and have red that the first few times I cook in it I do not need to cook any Tomato based stews or chile. They say if the tomato gets in the castiron it will mess it up does any one have any good recipes to cook something in the dutch Oven Please help me if you can
thanks
RTC Smoke

Comments

• MasterMason
    Options
    RTC Smoke ,[p]make yourself a big pot of gumbo :)

• Master Mason,
    You got a recipe

• MasterMason
    Options
    RTC Smoke,[p]sure,[p]number 10 dutch oven. Numbers below are based on that size, but you can adjust as required[p]3 cups flour
    1 and 1/2 cups flour
    2 lbs andulie (sp) sausage sliced into thin rounds
    1 and 1/2 lb cubed chicken
    1 lb shrimp plealed devined and de tailed
    4 cups finly chopped oninion (2 large)
    1 green bell pepper finely chopped
    2 cups dry white wine
    4 tbs worstishire sauce
    louisina hot sauce to taste
    Water[p]Brown chicken and sausage and remove.[p]put flour and oil in pot and stir very often until roux is a dark brown about the color of a dark hersey bar.[p]Add onions and stir and cook until onions are clear, add bell peppers and cook for 2 mins more... add water 1 cup at a time until it is a smooth very thick liquid. add chicken sausage and worstishire hotsauce, and wine.... stir add water to fill rest of pot. Cook for at least 1 hour. Add shrimp and cook for 30 mins more.[p]Serve over rice with a little gumbo file if you like it Add extra hot sauce as needed as welll[p]

• MasterMason
    Options
    Master Mason,[p]If you got a flat bottom Dutch oven, you might want to make the Roux on the stove top I have done it on the egg, but stirring is much more of a problem. [p]also use a wooden or metal tool for stiring the Roux, plastic will melt..... don't ask me how I know that :)
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I am cooking a beef stew in my Lodge 10 qt. as I type.[p]Toy Man
  • Master Mason,
    Thanks A lot will try this tomorrow