Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size? Mini or Small?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear BGE owners,[p]I've been intrigued by the Mini BGE since I saw one smoking away in someone's apartment window box. A REAL grill that was also so cute! What is the actual cooking capacity of the Mini? Is it too small to be flexible & useful? will I be better off buying a Small instead? & are there cast iron grills available for these sizes? I need an everyday grill for 2-4 pple. [p]For reference, I'm currently using the Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman Grill (& Lump hardwood charcoal) & find it too big when cooking for myself, but just right when another couple comes over. (I lost the Cast Iron Sportsman Dutch Oven that doubled as a lid, during a move & can't find a replacement)[p]Thanks for all your help in advance.[p]

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    TLeemur,
    Please buy the small over the mini if this is your primary or only grill. Also look at the Grate Mates for the small.
    This is a great system and will make your small do almost anything...
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BikesBoardsnBBQ
    Options
    TLeemur,
    I bought the mini to take camping with me, and it's okay if you just want a grill. If easy transport is not an issue, I highly recommend the small over the mini.

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    TLeemur,
    the answer is in what you cook and how many you cook for. i have all five sizes and bought the mini as a joke realy. just like you said it was cute and i had some money to waste. i am amazed at how well the mini cooks and i love it. however your not going to cook ribs or larger things like that. the small was the first grill i bought and is still the most used. i can get ribs for four on it, a 10 lb roast with ease, 4 or five chicken breasts on so on. it uses VERY little charcoal and is real easy to control. still my fav of all the sizes.