Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have got a new EGG and I am about to attempt my first Boston Butt. I will take Any Help I can Get.[p]Thanks, Tom
Conroe ,Texas

Comments

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Tom Garvey,[p]I hope all the pros are still up. These guys can do it all. All I can add is low and slow. Good luck. AZ
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Tom Garvey,
    Check out this page from Whiz's site.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    Tom Garvey,[p]Like Makobbq said...follow the link to Elder Ward's pulled pork method on the naked whiz site. Its complete. Follow
    it and you won't go wrong.[p]Cheers,[p]John

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Tom Garvey,[p]Get a good load of lump in the firebox, I fill mine to the top of the fire ring. You want to cook it indirect so you'll need to fashion some type of indirect cooking setup if you dont have one already. Then, rub the butt, put it on the grate above your indirect setup and dont look at it for about 8 hours or so depending on the size of hte butt. Mine typically take about an hour or 75 minutes a pound cooking at about 250 dome temp. Good luck with it, they are really hard to mess up and even the bad ones taste pretty darn good.[p]Troy
  • trackman
    Options
    I've cooked a bunch of butts and the only time I have had problems with them is when I picked a butt out of the grocery store meat cooler. The problem was that the butcher had trimmed a lot of the yummy fat from it and at the end of the cook it just didn't taste like any of the others. My advice is to ask the butcher to pick one out that hasn't been trimmed and buy it.

I'm a big fan of coating the butt with brown and spicy mustard. A few friends just use plain French's mustard. That works too having sampled the results as well. Get a good rub of your choosing and coat the mustarded butt allowing it to sit in the fridge over night.

After that it's pretty simple. I like to cook around 220 - 250 and find that at that temperature it takes around 1 hr. 35 - 45 min. per lb. Time it so that the butt is done about 2 - 3 hours before you plan to eat then wrap it in double layers of foil and a towel then drop it in a cooler. It doesn't really need it but I usually dump in quite a bit of a vinegar based sauce that is my uncle's old recipe before wrapping. When I'm ready to eat I pull it out, rip it apart and chow down.

There are a bunch of really good links that are posted in the messages above. What I have found the most helpful from all of them is the information on how to set up the charcoal. It works really well so give that a try.