Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh Snap...Now I'm ....

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
running out of charcol...gonna have to pull the butt and reload. Going on 17 hours for the butt and still 163 internal...

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Next time you do a long cook, fill it up at least halfway up into the fire ring. You should easily get 20+ hours of cooking at 250 dome temp. -RP

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg, Sounds like you have actually lost 2 degrees since your last post. Is that correct? If you're needing to add fire now then you probably did not have enough heat to get past the 165-170 plateau. Bummer. Pour on the coals, kick up the heat a bit but pay attention cus once you get past 175 it will climb pretty fast. Steve.

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Been there done that. Hang in there. I usually plan on at least 19 hours for the butts. I had one go 22 hours. On the 4th of July I did 19 hours of butts followed by 5 hours of ribs on a full load of lump (24 hours of cooking).[p]On a side note, I'm trying my first brisket today. I'm sitting at 175 degrees meat temp. I wish I started it a few hours earlier.

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    AZRP...[p]I did...filled that macker all the way to the top of the fire box...are you talking the ring above that as well? That could have been my problem. Just dumped a little extra in and going to bump the temp to 275 and see where we get with that. Shouldn't be any fat left with all the rendering it has done. LOL
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Apple...[p]Thanks. That is the plan...refilled the box with a little semi- used charcoal and going to bump the temp to 275 and go from there. [p]I guess it is just the first one, but a little frustrating when it doesn't work out as planned. But, I will say, great feeling when I woke up this morning and saw that wisp of smoke coming out the chimney, knowing it had worked all night.
  • Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg, It will be worth the wait. When you start the pull and take that first well deserved bite. It is soooo worth the wait.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Don't worry, it's going to be fine. Yes, at least halfway up the fire ring. -RP