Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Think I'm gonna try...

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my first long lo-n-slo tonight with a butt. Gonna plan on putting it on about 11-12 and take it off tomorrow around 5-6. Gonna cook at about 200*. Any other recommendations? And yes, I am also gonna take a gander at the DP instructions for cooking it...

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    I doubt it will be done by 06:00 AM. Mine last Saturday took 12 hours @ 250-275 to reach the reccomended internal temp of 200. If correct the bone will pull out easily, dry & clean.

• GriffinGaDawg,[p] yep bring the temp up to around 230-250 Dome temp of 200 will bring the grate temp below your meat target/
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    i might crank that up to 225, maybe even 250 as its easier to keep the fire going thru the night, i dont see any reason to cook one below 225 in the egg and there isnt much difference cooking it at 250 except that the cook is a little shorter. gives you more foil time after the cook with it resting in a cooler

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    I would go 240-250 dome. This will get the butt in the safe zone faster. No real need to cook slower. This will give you a 225-235 grate temp. Wrap in foil and place in cooler for a couple hours to rest after you pull from egg.
    Have fun,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grillicious
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg, also check out the Whiz's instructions. I did two 7.5 lb butts last weekend. I had some temp fluctuations between 235* and 270*, but it probably averaged about 250*, and took 14 hrs. I started and 11pm Friday and took them off at 1pm Saturday, after which 3 racks of ribs went on for the rest of the afternoon.
    After 3+ hrs in an ice chest the butts fell apart when I tried to pick them up after unwrapping them. So I just rolled them into a foil pan for pulling.