Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Souvenir from Tokyo

Options
My Manager just got back from Japan. He knows I like knives and texted me a couple photos and asked if I wanted one.
I prefer the more traditional handle over this western style but it will be a great daily user. Basic stainless but I have no idea the grade of steel. Out of the box it will easily shave arm hair. Right at $100 for this 210mm.
Thanks for looking.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    That's some nice looking steel.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Nice!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Very thoughtful.  Wish I had brought something like that back when I was in Japan.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    That knife looks "sharp" both ways! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Thoughtful manager and it sounds like a solid deal.  Most eggcellent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thoughtful manager and it sounds like a solid deal.  Most eggcellent.  
    Thanks, yes, very cool boss. Although he was in shock at some of the prices of knives in this shop. He thought I was crazy just spending $100.
    I have been looking around the office for something to chop...lol
    These little red, foam stress balls might get sliced very soon.
    Should be a great daily knife that can hang on my wooden covered magnetic holder.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Great pick up and boss!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That beats a pair of touristy chopsticks or whatever any damn day. 

And that is a cool boss to think of you while he was there. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    That beats a pair of touristy chopsticks or whatever any damn day. 

And that is a cool boss to think of you while he was there. 
    I asked him to check out a knife shop on his last visit and he said all the knives were crazy expensive. He text me some photos this trip and asked if I was willing to spend $100. I had to get it just because of him going the extra mile.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You have knives in your bathroom or keep watches in your kitchen?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Very thoughtful gesture. Enjoy! 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A little better than a robe or a wife!  Nice pick up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's great. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Beautiful.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Cool souvenir 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Very considerate of your boss.

I searched around, but couldn't find much. The vendor's site is mostly in Japanese, and the only English mention of steel was Blue #1. Came across other references elsewhere to White steels. White is very reactive, blue a little less, but its possible the blade has stainless cladding. 

Also found 1 reference to a VG-10 blade, but that was around $400.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Very considerate of your boss.

I searched around, but couldn't find much. The vendor's site is mostly in Japanese, and the only English mention of steel was Blue #1. Came across other references elsewhere to White steels. White is very reactive, blue a little less, but its possible the blade has stainless cladding. 

Also found 1 reference to a VG-10 blade, but that was around $400.

Thanks for the help. I have no idea what grade of stainless was used on this blade. I don't believe it's stainless cladding. There are no visible layers on this blade. It's a very basic blade. The knife in the middle is stainless cladding and the one on the left is Blue #1( my favorite )
    I will keep the new knife on the magnet block but the 2 others will go back into the cabinet.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

You have knives in your bathroom or keep watches in your kitchen?
    Everyone that comes to house gives me crap when they see watches on the bottle. They are solar and it's an easy, lazy place to keep them charged.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @Photo Egg Awesome Boss. Man those are works of art. I would probably just put it beside my cutting board I don't use :))  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL