Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Repetitive Question I'm Sure

AndyRAndyR Posts: 130
edited 8:30PM in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]What's the rule of thumb for amount of pulled pork per person when cooking for a group? I searched the achives but could not find an answer. Thanks.[p]AndyR
·

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    AndyR,[p]Generally figure about 1/2 lb per person of finished pork. Figure about 3/4-1 lb of raw pork per person.[p]Spin

·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Spin,
    The figure you cited holds true when you are speaking about adults. If there are bottomless pits attending(teenagers) double that amount.
    JJ

·
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    JJ,[p]Truth, my friend. Teenagers know enough to go for the good stuff![p]Spin

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    AndyR,
    I'd say it depends on whether you live in Burlington or Biloxi, Memphis or Manhatten, South Florida or South Bend.... My husband, Apple, says to just double the amount you think you'll need and hope for leftovers. JCA

·
  • FireballFireball Posts: 354
    AndyR,
    I have seen the figure of 4 oz.(cooked) per adult person on the Kansas City Bar B Q Forum.
    Fireball

·
    J Appledog really does know how to spell MANHATTAN.

·
  • SloMoSloMo Posts: 21
    JJ,
    While my nephews are a little older (early 20's to mid 30's) they all have a simple rule "Eat it before it eats you!" Due to thier feeding habits the rules at family dinners include "Anyone under 40 must stand at the end of the line!" Never have I seen so few eat so much. Several years ago when my Mom was still able to prepare the family dinners she swore that one day she would fix more fried corn than we could eat. It has not happened yet.
    SloMo

·
  • AndyR,
    I only did my first Boston Butt, back on Super Bowl Sunday...with a lot of would-be visitors having bad weather excuses, etc., so we had the best problem you could encounter: Too much just for us....this stuff freezes great. Don't sweat it, just cook what 'ya got and then some. Either it's all gone or........................

·
  • MopMop Posts: 496
    J Appledog,.....Hey!, I live in Burlington....[p]Mop!

·
    Mop,
    I was thinking VT, but Ontario is good! JCA

·