Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip cut into steaks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    jabam said:
    My best friend insist tri tip steaks are better, I think because they are easier for him. His bbq skills start and end with the hot dog! 

He buys them already marinated, and I must admit they are pretty good. 

But I will still take the whole cut any day! The steaks are easy to over cook if your not paying attention, with the whole cut, I cook the center to 130 and the meat on the ends will usually appease those who want heir meat more well done, and I can still enjoy my meat medium rare. 
    I cook my centers to 110 .... this one I went to 120 since we have a guest.  It was still pretty good, but I much prefer 110.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    jabam said:
    My best friend insist tri tip steaks are better, I think because they are easier for him. His bbq skills start and end with the hot dog! 

He buys them already marinated, and I must admit they are pretty good. 

But I will still take the whole cut any day! The steaks are easy to over cook if your not paying attention, with the whole cut, I cook the center to 130 and the meat on the ends will usually appease those who want heir meat more well done, and I can still enjoy my meat medium rare. 
    I cook my centers to 110 .... this one I went to 120 since we have a guest.  It was still pretty good, but I much prefer 110.
    117 for us...to each his own. Love tri tip. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2018
    Options
    LOVE a charred tri-tip. But only after sous vide! I learned the hard way...they can sometimes be chewy and there's no way to tell beforehand.  Season it, put it in a ziplock bag (or vacuum sealed), and sous vide at 132° or so (for a medium pink center) for 1 to 2 hours. Reverse sear on the Egg. If you check with the Thermapen in the thickest part while searing, you can fine tune the pinkness.

When the price is right I cut them in half, and FoodSaver and freeze them. For two people, cutting them in half is sensible. It's my favorite roast. 
    Judy in San Diego