Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snow day = funday

Options
DuckDogDr
DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
I actually managed to be off when the weather is crappy for a change (good for me..crappy to everyone else lol)..used to getting called in way before my shift begins..

Started off with a woody hunt before the weather rolled in 

Did a few things around the house (literally not much except feed my cows and make sure they could get to their water )

Tried to get some venison this pm ...no luck but enjoyed watching the snow fall in the woods ..very relaxing 

Fired up the egg...tried my hand at reverse sear...got the steak a little too done but was still tender and juicy ..definitely worth a repeat  attempt

@Griffin here's a shout out to you..while the egg was heated up tried out that pecan pie recipe ..smoked with pecan wood..definitely a good cook. Going to do again 

And now me and the duck dogs are resting in front of the fire, listening to the wind howl outside..., no tv, no radio.. . One of them decided to commandeer the couch..he's earned it after a hard week of duck hunting ..we just got home yesterday

Tomorrow night is wood duck poppers with red beans and rice ..stay tuned !!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    What great documentation.  Sounds like you are definitely enjoying your environment and letting your companions enjoy a respite.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @DuckDogDr the next time you need a guy to pop some birds with you just let me know,

You sir have found a honey hole with some primo birds. I have always wanted a wood duck mount. Every time they have ended up in our blind my 12 has bashed the $hit out of them! 

Ill bring ing the pecan pie!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Those pictures are great, and the wood ducks are beautiful (even with their eyes closed)
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DuckDogDr
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap. They needed a break after this week. Let my old girl have a day in the blind..she has a hard time seeing early in the morning, but once she can see, she puts my youngster (the couch potato) in his place..she's got it figured out..not bad for an 11 year old

@Killit_and_Grillit..any tiime brother 
    @thetrim they are definitely my favorite bird..favorite to hunt, favorite to eat and favorite to watch. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wood ducks are the only birds we don’t see around here. I’m envious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks like a fun day. Nice haul. Glad you liked the pie. I haven't made that in ages. Need to make it again soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great post all the way around.  Would love to see the poppers and red beans and rice.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Looks like a great day!! Your dogs are beautiful- congrats!  (The steak and pie look dang good also, but would trade both for the dogs)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Great post! You and the dogs look like your enjoying life!! Those ducks look great, and so does the steak and pie. 

You have some good looking dogs. The 11yr old looks pretty happy!!!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Beautiful post all around.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    That's why I say hey man nice post.
    Nice post man.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kindaquick14
    Options
    Great post!!!  Love to see these gorgeous pics!  Living here in the city / suburbs is much, much different.  My wife grew up on a farm and brings up the differences all the time!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Nice work!  We are expecting a dose of weather on Sunday and going to take similar advantage!
  • DuckDogDr
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. @mEGG_My_Day dogs aren't for trade lol. They may as well be my kids.

@kindaquick14..I lived with a girl for almost a year and a half in the city I almost went coocoo..literally. I can't handle it so more power to your wife. I love the farm life

@Cashfan she is very happy she lives for that, shed still go when it's 10 degrees outside if I'd let her
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Your pup and birds are beautiful animinals. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow