Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Eye Round suggestions?

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I went to BJs and it turns out that the last time when I saw the great prices on Beef Tenderloin it was because they had tenderloins and Eye Rounds mixed together. So when I looked for a price I happened to pick an eye round. I was there for ribs and lamb that day anyway.[p]Stike was right! The tenderloin was all "select", not "choice"! All of the beef there was "choice" except for the Beef tendeloin, which was "select". It was too good to be true.[p]So any recommendations on cooking? Can i cut steaks out of the middle and roast the ends- or should I roast the whole thing? If so, I'll cut it in half and do 3.5lbs at a time rather than the whole 7 lb in one shot.[p]Thanks,
Not the brightest Bob on the tree.,

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    eye of the round is great for 'pit beef'. .. i wouldn't cut it into steaks, cause grilling it that way, you'll have shoe leather or hockey pucks ....[p]pit beef is easy ....rub up the roast (or half roast) heavy with somethng like dizzy cowlick or red eye express (i really like the red eye for this one) and kosher salt. ..set up your egg indirect with grid over inverted plate setter, at 375 dome temp with some good smokin wood (hickory works great here) .. .put the meat on the egg and roast it till it hits 130 internal. ..thats it. ..will only take about 2 hours. . .let it rest under loose foil tent for about 15 minutes before slicing. . .[p]now, here is the key .. .its a tough hunk of cow so you have to slice it really thin. .."shaved". ..if you have an electric slicer, that works best. . ..then simply serve it on kaiser rolls with raw onions and horseradish and/or bbq sauce. ..thats it, easy peasy and oh so good. .. .[p]btw, wessb has a similar pit beef recipe at his site (www.wessb.com). ..

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Would an electric knife work okay? I've been wondering if I should try this, but I'm not sure I can cut it thin enough.[p]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks- exactly what I needed to know!
    Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to shave that bad boy.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Herm,
    yea, that might work. .. .even a really sharp carving knife .. .just don't worry about making whole slices....keep shaving it with whatever you are using. . .

• Flashback Bob,
    If you don’t mind chewing and flossing, any thickness will do! Eye of the Round is my favorite cut of beef. Awesome flavor and I don’t mind chewing. Quarter inch slices are fine by me.[p]I will be getting a “slicer” when I can afford it, “I must say” ( a tribute to Ed Grimley )
    rb