Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mad Max Turkey Tip of the Week - 1st in a series

mad max beyond eggdomemad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi gang. . .well its 7 weeks from today to thanksgiving, and there are already questions popping up here and there. . .so i thought i'd provide a weekly 'tip' for the next 6 thursdays leading up to the big day. . .along with the link below to the 'mad max turkey'. ...[p]so... .1st tip. ...how is that big bird gonna fit in your egg?? .. .while i roast my turkey in a traditional roasting pan, some follks like to go with a verticle stand, and some folks may like to spatchcock theirs. ...regardless of methodology, you should try out a cold test fit. .. i've posted this before, and it may sound crazy, but a basketball is about the same size as a 20 pound + turkey. . .so, grab a basketball, and whatever setup you think you want to use, and stick it in your egg and see how it fits ...make sure there is sufficient air flow around it. . .make sure your dome temp thermometer isn't sticking into it(this can really cause you problems if you don't realize its happening). . .[p]here are a couple of pics of the set-up i've been using the last couple of years. ..by sticking the little green bge 'feet' under my roasting pan, i create enough airspace to keep the bottom of the pan from scorching. ...works really well. .. .[p]also, if you want to use the throw-away aluminum pans, use 3 or 4 stacked together ...it will result in a 'thicker' pan, more like a regular roasting pan. ...more sturdy as well with a heavy bird in it for moving it on and off the egg, and for making gravy. ..[p]here is my large egg w/ plate setter and green feet
DSCN0625.jpg[p]and here is the roasting pan sitting on the feet[p]DSCN0626.jpg[p]and here it is with the 'turkey' in it. ..all fits great. ..will handle a 24 pound bird with no problem. .. [p]DSCN0627.jpg[p]stay tuned for next week's tip, when i talk about keeping the breast meat moist while the legs get done. ...[p]mad "thinking like a pilgrim" max

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]

Comments