Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder temp drop issue

Options
i have been running a 10 lb. pork shoulder at 235 for 24 hours with a CyberQ controller on an XL. Pit temp hasn't varied more than 2 degrees for quite some time. An hour or so ago my stationary meat probe was bouncing between 201 & 202. I decided to let it go to 205 and pull the shoulder closer to eating time. When I checked it some time later, the pit temp was still 235 but the meat temp has dropped to 197.
   Can anyone explain to me how the meat temp can drop 5 degrees when the dome temp has remained at a constant 235?  Neither probe has been moved and the lid hasn't been opened since the shoulder went on. 
   I have now increased the dome temp attempting to raise the meat temp back above 200 but it doesn't seem to want to budge 
   Any thoughts?

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There's always the possibility that of instrument failure. But temp drops at somewhat lower numbers, around 180 dripping to 160 have been reported. Maybe the same here. A pocket of moisture in the shoulder is venting.

The temp is somewhat irrelevant. If the meat mass is starting to jiggle like jello, it is good to go.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Gotta admit that I have seen and heard of the drop when in the stall but not when approaching 200*F.  I would open it up and check the bone for looseness or probe for the "probes like buttah" feel that you have totally mastered with brisket.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    gdenby said:
    There's always the possibility that of instrument failure. But temp drops at somewhat lower numbers, around 180 dripping to 160 have been reported. Maybe the same here. A pocket of moisture in the shoulder is venting.

The temp is somewhat irrelevant. If the meat mass is starting to jiggle like jello, it is good to go.
    A moisture pocket venting is also the only solution I could imagine. I have cooked several of these and never seen the meat temp drop like this   It did have quite a lot of fat. Had a fat cap on the bottom well over 1/2" thick. First one I've ever had to trim. 

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I am reluctant to open my egg on a low & slow if I can avoid it.  But I finally gave in and had my thermapen ready. But first I decided to unplug the meat probe and reseat it. Unplugged it and message began flashing "Food Finished. 228 Degrees".  Awh!!! CRAP!!!!
        Plugged it back in and it went back to bouncing between 196 & 197. Not sure if I have a probe or controller issue,  but something's wrong. 
       Hoping I haven't ruined the shoulder.  Will know shortly. Am going ahead and shred it. 

Tommy