Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trying to decide whether to purchase a BGE or not

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are trying to decide on a new bbq and it's worse than buying a car!!!!! So many options and so many questions. We've had many pits over the 32 years we've been married, both gas and charcoal. Pros and cons to both. While shopping and researching for the "perfect pit" we came across the BGE and was blown away, but some questions still come to mind. Ease of cleanout? Longevity of parts? Easy to learn to use? Practical? Cooking for 20 or so people at one time, is it big enough or fast enough to not take all day to cook lunch? HELP!!! need some comments from those of you who had the same dilema. Thanks, C Krumholt, Baton Rouge, LA

Comments

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    ckrum,
    Easiest to keep clean, 5 minutes. Lifetime warranty. BGE does things right! Real easy to learn how to use. With help from the fantastic fellow eggheads you will be serving the best food you have ever thought of. From crown roasts, standing rib roasts, beer can chicken, T-REX steaks(MMMM), pulled pork to pizzas!! You will never have a delivered pizza again. It will exteremely hard to go out for a steak the rest of your life. BGE cooks in snow, rain, hot and sunny. No moving parts to wear out or rust.
    You will probably be like the rest of us and wind up with two. I have a Large and the XL. Heirloom material.[p]Go ahead and get the Large![p]Ralph

• Q-Scoop
    Options
    The Egg is easy to cook on, particularly if you've been grilling for awhile. Easy to clean. There's a tool that you use to get the ashes out of the bottom of the Egg. If you have the inclination, register for Eggtoberfest in Atlanta and buy an Egg at half price. That way you can learn to cook on it with hundreds of other people there to give you advice! Catherine
  • If BGE had a take home an egg for a weekend program for everyone to try for themseleves I think only people that would send them back to the dealer would be to get a diffent size. It really is simple to use and can cook just about anything. I lost my first BGE in Katrina, while I was relocated in Baton Rouge for 6 months I purchased my replacement XL at Goodwood Hardware they are a good dealer which I recommend. They carey Ozark Oak which is nice lump. Go with the egg you will not be dissapointed.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    ckrum,
    On the Egg the most replaced part is the food, your always putting new food on everyday, it just never stops. soon you'll be replacing your food with your neighbors food, then then their friends food. Pretty soon the whole world wants their food on your Egg. I dont know what else can go wrong!

• ckrum,
    What the others are telling you is right on. My wife bought me one for Christmas last year and it's by far one best things I've ever gotten. It took me a couple of time to learn temp control which boiled down to me over adjusting but since then it's been a piece of cake. There's not a whole lot of ash to clean up because you're using lump charcoal which burns almost entirely. Cleaning up grease or drippings is as easy as opening the vents to bring up the temp to burn it clean. The other thing is the support you get from everyone here on the forum. Even the ones that compete are willing to help. It's an incredible source of info. And like one of the others said, you'll find you'll be able to cook food to match any restaurant out there. We haven't gone to a steak or bbq place here where we live since we got the BGE.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    ckrum,
    I got my Lg BGE in July and am already thinking about another one! It can cook as fast as you want (700 F +) to as long as you want (30 hrs for a lo-n-slo).[p]There is no doubt that a large will cook a lot of food (three levels if needed) and for pulled pork or brisket, you could probably cook for many more than 20, but for steaks and chops, it would be a stretch. If you really cook for a mob, frequently, you should consider the XL, IMHO. The alternate route would be to test the water with a LG and then get a second LG for more volume and also more flexability (a hot and a low temp cook at the same time).[p]You will love it -- just look at the pictures posted.[p]I rebuilt my Ducane gasser at the same time I got my BGE and have never had it fired up....

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    ckrum,
    We bought are Large BGE 2 years ago and we have not looked back. In addition to the large 9 months later a small BGE was born to help out with all the cooking. The weatlh of knowlede that we got from this forum and it's members has been priceless. I really do not believe that you will be disappointed by this purchase. Read the forum and scan the archieves for posts about the BGE. In addition go to the the Naked Whiz's web site (link below). There is more information there, then you can handle in one sitting. If you do decide to get the BGE also get Dr. BBQ's (Ray Lampe) cookbooks as they are are well worth the money. Good luck and let us know what size you by.[p]

[ul][li]Naked Whiz Web Site[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • nutcase, thanks everyone for the input, will be watching for more responses. d krumholt will be home from work shortly and we are going back to the vendor here in Baton Rouge and they are actually cooking on the BGE today and we will get a first hand demo of it. Can't wait, but D Krum will be making the final decision, so hope their food is good, that will surely make him decide!!! Thanks again, everyone.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Bobs,
    Be sure and check out The Naked Whiz' site to learn more about ceramic cooking. It is important to understand flashbacks!

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ckrum,
    the one thing to consider that might not be overly obvious (despite the raves below) is that if you NEVER used it to cook steaks, it would probably be the most versatile/best performing smoker you've owned so far. ...once did a back-to-back butt and brisket for more than 32 hours on a single load of lump. cooked on that lump afterward, too, but the point is, the egg will cruise along merrily without needing to open it, overly adjust it, or add lump for the entire cook.[p]that said, if you NEVER did barbecue, and only used it for steaks and grilling, it'd be the best grill you ever had. some nutjobs here go to 900 degrees... most of us probably Trex the steaks at 700 then 400. you can do that on a weber, sure. but add that to the potential for lo-and-slo (above) and i don't think you can beat it.[p]then there're all the cooks in between....[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ckrum,[p] Cooking .. WHAT .. for 20 people at one time !!! I can do anything an owner of one of the best-known multi-thousand- dollar smokers/cookers can do, definitely a lot easier, but cannot handle the volume of ribs or butts or briskets, or 'large-area' grilling (lots of parted chicken, lots of burgers and sausages/dogs at one time, many steaks at one time. That's why these large cookers are used (in addition to the purists who demand large, wood-burning fireboxes and whole hogs). I think my Lg BGE is incredibly versatile, but only ONE will not handle many users' volume needs. You should include the possibility of multiple BGE's as you evaluate how often you will need to handle 20+ people.
    I have a higher end gasser and (the Lg BGE) and still find specific uses for the gasser ... including as a supplement or warmer to handle some larger volume grilling needs. In spite of that, I also chose a Brinkmann Professional Charcoal grill specifically for times when large grill surface area is required. I have often wanted to have a medium size Klose or Lang or Horizon horizontal offset sitting out there on my deck, but then had to face the discouraging fact that I now need to heat up this 'monster' to do a couple steaks or a nice fish fillet ..... no thank-you. [p]For a group of 20 dinner party ..... you bet !![p]Good luck choosing what will work best for YOU ![p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• egghead
    Options
    ckrum,
    I saw the BGE and decided that there was no way it could be worth that much money. Then I won one with a $5 raffle ticket! If anything ever happened to my egg, I'd buy a new one the next day. Best grill I have ever seen. For smoking, it blows away my big offset fire-box smoker. Easy to use. Stingy with charcoal. Pretty to look at. Damn it, I sometimes find myself petting it like a dog. (I shouldn't have admitted that.)

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    wardeggs.jpg
    <p />ckrum,
    I have owned a BGE for the last 17 years and think they are great.With two and three racks in each one you can cook alot of food.Get ready to buy more than one they are habit forming.
    Larry

[ul][li]XL Egg[/ul]
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    I never used a charcoal grill before I bought my Big Green Egg. When I bought it, I was a little concerned that after the newness wore off, it would not be used all that much, or that I would get tired of firing up the charcoal or that the charcoal expense would be higher than what I thought, none of which is true. I look forward to finding something new and fun to cook on my egg, something I never did on gas. When I get some nice filets from the butcher that are 2 1/2" thick, there is no concern whatsoever that I can turn out fantastic steaks cooked perfectly. If anything, I am amazed at how long the lump charcoal lasts, and with the help of a MAPP gas torch, I can cook within 10 to 15 minutes of lighting, depending on what is going on the grill. Low & slow is easy on the egg. I have cooked for neighbors, something like 10 people, but I have not tried 20 or more, I think an XL would be best for frequent large groups, especially burgers and steaks.

We gave away our old gasser, and have never regretted it a bit. I have never owned one of the really expensive gas grills, but I have had some pretty nice grills. There is no comparison for me, from the smell of the charcoal wafting through the air, to the temperature control to the evenly cooked steaks, moist chicken and pork chops, smoked briskets and pork butts..., I can't imagine going back.

The only thing I have heard of breaking is the fire ring. You can just leave it alone, as a broken (cracked) fire ring really makes no difference, or you can get a new, free one from BGE under warranty.

Cleaning is a snap, ash cleanout is very easy.

Eggtoberfest is the place you want to be to see a lot of different foods cooked a lot of different ways by one of the nicest groups of people you will find.

Happy grilling,
    John
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    ckrum,[p]You've already received lots of comments and they are all consistent. It seems the only hesitation is your requirement of cooking for 20 folks at once. What no one has asked is just what are you likely to cook for that large a crowd . . . if all you want are hamburgers a large or XL BGE would likely work very well. If you were cooking hamburgers and veggies and shrimp and fish and whatever, you'd have more trouble trying to balance the various characteristics of each dish, but I suspect the same would hold true for most other cookers.

• egginator
    Options
    ckrum,
    Meatballs[p]IMG_6036-1.jpg[p]Pork butts (4-8 pounders)[p]brisketbutt.jpg[p]Steaks[p]ribeye2.jpg[p]ribeye3.jpg[p]And much more...
    One of the best things I've ever bought... Got rid of my gasser within 6 weeks and have never regretted it.[p]Ed[p]

• ckrumholt,[p]While you are at your BGE dealer, and if you are still undecided, ask if they have an extra copy of "The Big Green Egg Eggsperience." It is a two-sided disk that comes with every BGE purchase. One side of the disc is a DVD demo of the egg and the other is an interactive CD for PC's.[p]To capacity, you can find dimensions for all the eggs except the XL here: http://www.biggreenegg.com/photo4.htm The XL has a 24-inch diameter grate. With your requirements, you would obviously be looking at a large or extra large. Keep in mind that you can easily stack a second rack above the first.[p]My story: November 1987, while living in Atlanta, Ga., I saw an advertisement in the paper for a small BGE for $99. At that time my near two year old daughter was starting to get around and I was becoming very mindful of the possibility of her getting burned on my modified Brinkman smoker or Weber Kettle, so I went to investigate. What I found was a small store with three Eggs cooking out front and no salespeople around. The couple people who were there were very eager to demonstrate the Egg, hand out samples of what they were cooking, and answer any questions I could come up with; but they let the Egg sell itself. That was the first selling point for me.[p]After a demonstration I put my hand on the dome of an egg that had been chugging along at 350 degrees for several hours and, though it was very warm, I did not get burned. That was selling point number two.[p]The food was exceptional. Moist, just the right “cooked outdoors” flavor, ... At the very least as good as anything I had done myself, or had elsewhere. That was selling point three, and I went home with a medium Egg.[p]I expected the Egg to replace my smoker. It replaced the smoker AND grill. November 1988 I went back to the BGE store and, eliminating a lot of boring stuff here, was offered an exchange/purchase for a large Egg that I (*very*) happily accepted.[p]Last month I retired that Egg for the much-improved version that is sold now. I also just picked up a small Egg to use to cook for one or two (my kids are now off at college), to sear meat before it goes in the large, and to carry to picnics, etc. That is what I intend to use it for but, like my original purchase 19 years ago, it will probably serve for more.[p]My last comment:
    I've met a lot of Egg users who say they put off buying an Egg because of its weight, perceived restricted capacity, cost, etc., and regret waiting so long to make their purchase. I have never met anyone who purchased an Egg and were disappointed. Well, except maybe for those who purchased a medium and wished they had bought a large. ;-)[p]Mike

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    ckrum,
    I cook on the egg everyday. Trust us, best move you'll ever make. Only drawback is it won't help the waistline, But I don't trust a skinny cook anyway.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• okay, WE DID IT!!! BOUGHT THE XL BGE AND CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT OUT. WILL BE DELIVERED TOMORROW AFTERNOON. THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR INPUT. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE FIRST COOKOUT GOES. THANKS AGAIN, C KRUMHOLT

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    c krumholt,
    Congrats!!! You'll never look back now...except to wonder why you didn't enter the BGE world earlier! Stay around the board too, cauz it is a wonderful meeting spot for avid eggers and it sounds like you folks have lifetime cooking experiences to share too! BTW someone will be by shortly with the green Kool-Aid to drink and teach you the secret handshake!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Congrats!!! I've not had mine two weeks yet and I love mine!!!!
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Egg head,[p]I only pat my egg to warm my hands. I rarely talk to her except when I'm cooking something or thinking about cooking something or else I just happen to be standing near her thinking about cooking something.[p]A lot of the time, we just stand together and look up at the stars in the sky. It's nice.
  • BeerMike
    Options
    c krumholt,
    In a few weeks you'll be dreaming about adding a small BGE to keep the XL company. hehehaha

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin